Gibson Brands Forums

Can you tell me about this Gibson amp?

brainfogbetty

Found this Gibson amp at a relatives house buried under junk. I have no idea if it works, but was told it did before it got buried.

Trying to help an elderly person out and hoping it's worth something. Can someone tell me what we have here and what it might be worth if

it does work---or if it doesn't? I know it's dirty. ;(

Betty

394588564.jpg

Found this Gibson amp at a relatives house buried under junk. I have no idea if it works, but was told it did before it got buried.

Trying to help an elderly person out and hoping it's worth something. Can someone tell me what we have here and what it might be worth if

it does work---or if it doesn't? I know it's dirty. ;(

Betty

394588564.jpg

Holy smokes! What were your relatives using it for? A stand for a Bird Coup?

You've got a mid 60's Gibson GA-8T Discoverer amp, T for Tremelo and probably a '63 because of the brown tolex cover

Seriously, clean it up a LOT, the "Bird named" and "Science named" GA series amps of the 60's are coming into their own for players and collectors. They sound (if taken care of and with fresh good tubes) just as good as the small fender amps of the early to mid 60s'; MUCH better than the late 60's "Silver Face" Fenders!

I'd estimate a value - IF you clean it up like new condition AND it WORKS - about $450 to $600 depending on the actual sound quality.

Here's a clean '63 GA-8T Discoverer

Guest BentonC

You've got a mid 60's Gibson GA-8T Discoverer amp, T for Tremelo and probably a '63 because of the brown tolex cover

Seriously, clean it up a LOT, the "Bird named" and "Science named" GA series amps of the 60's are coming into their own for players and collectors. They sound (if taken care of and with fresh good tubes) just as good as the small fender amps of the early to mid 60s'; MUCH better than the late 60's "Silver Face" Fenders!

I'd estimate a value - IF you clean it up like new condition AND it WORKS - about $450 to $600 depending on the actual sound quality.

Nice- great info!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Right on the money - it's early to mid 60's, no later than '66. I have one, and it is a great little amp. About 15 watts and beautiful tone... but this model has one weird issue with Treble: if you turn the Treble up past 4, your ears will bleed. I took mine to a great amp tech in Boston (Tom at Aztech Sound) who converted it to a 3-prong plug, replaced some caps and a blown speaker, and pronounced it one of the best sound amps he's heard. When I asked him about the spikey treble, he shrugged and said, "Just don't turn it up past 4."

And the Tremolo on this amp is mind-blowing, too.

Enjoy!

I have also found an older Gibson amp, and would like to get some information on it as well. Any info would be appreciated.

Here are some pictures. Thanks.

rxxXgl.jpg

KXpzql.jpg

GA75 Recording, A fairly rare amp. only 181 produced, 74 were also produced with a 15" JBL............. Most likely 1965 to 1967.

• 1 month later...

That is actually a GA-18T amp. I have the exact same model. I dated it @ 1963 after a lot of research. 14 watts. sounds great in proper working order. worth $400-$600 depending on condition. Maybe $300 in that condition if it has all original parts, including the pedal.

Archived