Gibson Brands Forums

EVJ Roaring

Sniper1

Epiphone Valve Junior v#3 No mods.Replaced the stock tubes with 1 JJ ECC83 S Gold Pins and 1 JJ EL84 about 7 months ago,the head sounded great until 3 days ago,When the amp is switched on, there is NO NOISE for about 2 minutes,then a loud roaring kicks in,this roaring lasts about 50/60 seconds,then stops completely,from then on the amp performs flawlessly,this roaring only happen on start up.Here's the weird part,the roaring does NOT come through the speaker,it comes from the head only.

When this first started I thought,speaker problem, NOT!I unplugged everything and just plugged the power cord in,switched it on,and as stated above the roaring kicks in at the head. Any ideas what causes this?

Are you the guy that had several problems with a new VJ.?

Anyway...the only thing I know of that will make that noise is the PT, but I am not sure about the intermittent part. Check everything going to and coming from the PT including the mounting bolts/hardware.

Good Luck

Are you the guy that had several problems with a new VJ.?

Anyway...the only thing I know of that will make that noise is the PT, but I am not sure about the intermittent part. Check everything going to and coming from the PT including the mounting bolts/hardware.

Good Luck

No I'm not that guy,I have the chassis on the bench as of now checking everything including the PT as you mentioned.

Here's what I came up with so far,with the chassis out of the cab, it works fine,but when installed in the cab the roaring returns,

I'm thinking the 4 large metal screws that hold the chassis are the culprit.

When this first started I thought,speaker problem, NOT!I unplugged everything and just plugged the power cord in,switched it on,and as stated above the roaring kicks in at the head.

If you power-on this valve amp without a speaker load, you are in serious danger of instantly frying an OT. Count your blesings if yours is still okay. By all means plug a speaker in before power-up again.

There has been a valve can/retainer rattle problem reported on VJr. Try removing the spring loaded wire retainer and the tin can from the valves.

Try replacing the valves with known good ones. Something could be loose inside and there have been noises reported coming from a bad valve (usually the EL84).

Aside from that, check/tighten all screws holding the transformers (and anything else) on the board. If you still have roar then you'll likely need a voltage tester and skills to sort it out. Be careful in there --- voltage is high enough to put out your lights if you grab onto the wrong circuit [scared]

BE SAFE ---- USE WOOD CHOPSTICKS to prod any suspect component!

Luck to you and WELCOME to the forum.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on B)

Archived