Gibson Brands Forums

telecaster build

krock

I've taken on board what you guys have said about buying gear for the hell of it. Because of this I am tempted to build a telecater because it will be experience and will result in a guitar I will always want to keep. I dont know if you lot have heard but there is a company I think called zackary who built a tele out of an ikea chopping board. well I wanted to do a twist on this. I want to make it from a boardcaster chopping board instead. I'm not sure for definate if I will do this yet because I'm still trying to work out how much it will cost to make. I dont want to spend more than £200-£300 ($318.58-477.87) I know the chopping board is 2.5cm and the modern tele is about 4-4.5cm. Is it still possible to make a guitar out of this? And has anyone got any advice?

2.5 cm? You're going to need a thicker chopping block.

I know its thin but can it not be done? Or would i be better glueing 2 of these together, but for the cost of that its cheaper to just by a tele unfinished body

img021.jpg

One problem I'm going to have is that I'm going to have to work out how to do the routing and stuff like that. I have drills and stuff like that but ive no idea how to do it. any tips for if I was to try and make this? Im pretty sure I'd have to install the pots from the back like on a gibson but that the extent of my knowledge on how to approach this.

Krock, it's a Tele !!!!!!! Everthing is installed from the top of the guitar......Even better, all the routing is already done, the bodies are sanded, and these Tele bodies are all set to go..

Even better, Tele necks are bolted on, not glued in...So, all you'd need is a nice awesome neck, and a pickguard with all the trimmings of your choice....

An EASY build.....This guy also makes Strat bodies; but, I'm on a Tele kick.....Now, how much do you think these bodies are ??? These are TWO piece blanks with premium wood.....And LOOK at the top wood inlays....those are NOT veneers, but SOLID wood pieces..

Imagine the finishes one could do on these........

Krock, it's a Tele !!!!!!! Everthing is installed from the top of the guitar......Even better, all the routing is already done, the bodies are sanded, and these Tele bodies are all set to go..

Even better, Tele necks are bolted on, not glued in...So, all you'd need is a nice awesome neck, and a pickguard with all the trimmings of your choice....

An EASY build.....This guy also makes Strat bodies; but, I'm on a Tele kick.....Now, how much do you think these bodies are ??? These are TWO piece blanks with premium wood.....And LOOK at the top wood inlays....those are NOT veneers, but SOLID wood pieces..

Imagine the finishes one could do on these........

£150?

£150?

Krock, one U.S. dollar today is = to 0.62480 British lbs................These bodies sell for around U.S. $175.00 dollars...The prices may have gone up, and probably have....

These bodies are not listed on his website, but it is my understanding that he will make them upon request, and / or may have some in stock........

The guitars he makes are very nice.........He has all the machines to make these, so it's what he and his crew does.....Some may find the checkerboard idea 'odd'....

I like them, and intend to build one or two Teles, and put Bigsby's on them..........Anyways, the man's name is Jeff Head....Jeffheadguitars.com, or so.........

I learned this from some of the Epi members, so, they get credit for the info Krock............Hmmm, you guys have those 'import' taxes and VAT stuff.....Bummer...

Krock, one U.S. dollar today is = to 0.62480 British lbs................These bodies sell for around U.S. $175.00 dollars...The prices may have gone up, and probably have....

These bodies are not listed on his website, but it is my understanding that he will make them upon request, and / or may have some in stock........

The guitars he makes are very nice.........He has all the machines to make these, so it's what he and his crew does.....Some may find the checkerboard idea 'odd'....

I like them, and intend to build one or two Teles, and put Bigsby's on them..........Anyways, the man's name is Jeff Head....Jeffheadguitars.com, or so.........

I learned this from some of the Epi members, so, they get credit for the info Krock............Hmmm, you guys have those 'import' taxes and VAT stuff.....Bummer...

If ever I move to america I'll be sure to check him out but with shipping and import tax added it'll be very expensive for a body. I was looking at the pictures you posted and think I've found a way to build it by hand for considerably less. Get 1 thick (about 3-3.5 cm) chopping board with grain of your choice and one thin (1-1.5cm) then you have your back of the guitar (the thicker bit) and your cap. I was thinking that I could then cut them to the shape of a tele and then make cutouts in the thinner part of the guitar for the pickups. I would probably also hollow out some of the guitar to save weight and so the cables from the pickups can be routed to the controls cavity. All that would be left is to make the holes for the bridge and string ferrules. Hmmm could this really work? Im thinking I could probably get both chopping boards for about $47.79 (£40). Thats top wack I'm guessing though and for that I'd expect 2 pretty damn good chopping boards :) Thanks for the advice and images. I still have to run this by my parents to make sure it's still okey with them. Ive asked them and they said okey but they might change their minds

http://www.culliners.co.uk/end-grain-cutting-board-45-x-30-x-35-cm-p-582.html?zenid=g80abs2n6soklhgrj59vhmj8a1

Ive just had a look at this chopping board and measured it against my tele. There is even a little room to spare. If I got 2, because they're both quite thick I could even add a carve I I want. But I dont think I want a carve so I think this would be good for the bigger half of the guitar and I just need to look for a thinner piece for the flat top I want to do

Archived