Gibson Brands Forums

57 gibson es 125

skeet

I have a 1957 es 125. With strings that havent been changed in at least 10 yrs. Have a marshall valvestate 8040 and fender frntman 25r w/rajun cajun speaker. I need advice on what kinda strings yall think would work best to give me a good warm delta bluesy tone with that rig. I really dont trust the 15yr old shredder turds at my local guuitar center. They always try to sell me the priciest strings they have for every guitar I own. i'm here seeking knowledge. can anybody give me some strong advice? Don't mind layin out the ducketts as long as I'm sure it's the right fit. thanx, Skeet.

Actually there are too many variables you haven't mentioned to offer a truly appropriate response.

For example, how long have you been playing and/or have laid off playing? What style do you like to play? Do you prefer flatwounds that are relatively heavy or light, roundwounds ditto? Are you a bender for blues?

How is your guitar set up and can you handle a bit of change to the setup? An unwound G especially may rattle a bit in the nut; ditto a lot lighter strings than the guitar was set up for initially.

I've played various kinds of strings over the past years and at my age and what I'm paying, I've ended up with quite light strings. Other guys who play a bit different stuff have entirely different preferences in strings.

I love Elixir electrics, the thicker "web" style, 9-42 for most electric work on the hollow and semi, but the 30+ year old Guild clone came with 8-38 and I'll never change that as long as they're manufactured by somebody. Currently Ernie Ball brand, but not as good IMHO as whatever they did with the old Guild brand, whoever made 'em.

On a steel string acoustic, some consider it a sin that I've gone to 9-42 "Zebra" acoustic-electric strings by DR for their playability. A "sin" because they're so light gauge. The tone ain't bad either strictly acoustic or with the under-saddle piezo type for what I do. In fact, my old Ovation early 1970s "Electric Legend" is about to get a set 'stedda the heavier stuff that's on it. If Elixir had a 42-09 set for acoustic with the "polyweb," I'd probably stick with them, but...

Whichever, the ease of speed for my age-weakened left hand <chortle> for fingerpicking is more than worth the different sort of tone compared to heavier strings. Heck, I can almost forget using my right hand sometimes. But I'm also awfully gentle with my no-pick right hand. For pure acoustic, bang it out bluegrass, strings would be rattling and banging all over the place.

Others would argue against my choices and - yeah, I'll say they're not wrong either. They want a different tone. They play heavier-handed. One of our mods on the forum sez light strings help his floating bridge flop out of whack the way he plays.

Bottom line? String choice and guitar setup depend on personal playing preferences and playing style. Brand preferences tend to come from personal experience.

At only 5-10 bucks for most brands, try a bunch - at last 6 different types/brands for 2011. You may discover something that makes the guitar glow. The 175 sat for years in her case until I dumped the mindset of heavy jazz strings and put on 9-42 Elixirs... She's my sweetheart guitar. But... your idea of a sweetheart in playability may be far different from mine.

m

With questions like this, there is no "right" answer -- just lots of opinions. D'Addario and Elixir both make good strings. DR Pure Blues strings are also great.

I would use 10's or 11's on that guitar, if I were you, but I prefer a heavier gauge in general.

Trying different stuff out is the only way to discover what you like best.

Archived