Gibson Brands Forums

What different colors did the Les Paul Studio Lite come in?

Jericho-79

Hey everyone. I have a really quick question for all you LP fanatics here.

I've heard that the Gibson Les Paul Studio Lite is/was known to be a good lightweight LP. And I think that the Studio Lite was manufactured back in the 90s, and have long been discontinued.

So here's my question-

What colors did the LP Studio Lite come in when they were still being produced?

I've searched the internet, and I could only find these ones in cherry sunburst.

http://www.buyusedguitar.net/gibson-les-paul-studio-lite-cherry-sb-1993-with-case/

Can any LP historians here help me out?

What I've managed to find out, so far, is a bit sketchy. But it looks like the finishes were Ebony, Natural, White, Cherry 'burst, Wine Red and a darker 'burst, possibly Tobacco 'burst. I did find some other colors, but they looked like custom jobs.

It might just be the old traditionalist in me, but I really wouldn't get too excited over a guitar made with balsa wood. That's how they reduced the weight of the lite, instead of chambering. It kinda reminds me of some of the real cheapy LP's made in the '80's, like "The Paul" or some of the "KM" models. A friend of mine had a "The Paul", and it was the most godawful POS I'd ever seen at that time. It was completely unstable, wouldn't hold tune for a complete song, sounded horrible, and literally threw 2 frets right off the neck! Plus it smelled funny! I should look them up, just out of curiosity as to materials used, etc. I'd be shocked if they are worth much.

There were two different body-styles of Studio Lite. The first had a body similar to a normal Les Paul and the second type had the balsa-wood inserts, mentioned by Dr. Gonzo in the above post.

Backing up what Dr. Gonzo says re: colours; it is mentioned that they were available in 'sunbursts' (note the use of the plural). In 1991 there was, in addition, a choice of having a three-piece figured maple top in either Amber or Red (presumably translucent) finish.

The first series of Studio Lite's was introduced in 1988. These instruments had the rear of the body 'dressed-away' in much the same way as a Fender Strat. This quote is from Tony Bacon's excellent "The Les Paul Guitar Book";

"It had a contoured body that was pure Fender in style. The timber lost in this sculpting cut the weight and made the guitar more comfortable."

This model was re-designed in 1990 and the practice of having a rear cut-away was dispensed with. From the same source;

"The existing Les Paul Studio Lite was modified to incorporate balsa inserts. Gibson renamed balsa as 'Chromite', derived from the first words of its Latin names, ochroma pyramidale and ochroma lagopus, perhaps because they feared balsa's 'cheap' image."

These two models also differed in the hardware fitted.

The first series had P-90 style p-ups with a two-knob / selector switch / mini-toggle set-up.

The second had a pair of humbuckers and the usual two-vol / two-tone / one selector switch set-up.

In addition there was a further version of the latter model, designated the Studio-Lite MIII, which had a mid-mounted single-coil p-up giving a H-S-H configuration. This was available between 1992 and '94.

The Studio Lite model was dropped in 1998.

P.

• 1 month later...

What I've managed to find out, so far, is a bit sketchy. But it looks like the finishes were Ebony, Natural, White, Cherry 'burst, Wine Red and a darker 'burst, possibly Tobacco 'burst. I did find some other colors, but they looked like custom jobs.

It might just be the old traditionalist in me, but I really wouldn't get too excited over a guitar made with balsa wood. That's how they reduced the weight of the lite, instead of chambering. It kinda reminds me of some of the real cheapy LP's made in the '80's, like "The Paul" or some of the "KM" models. A friend of mine had a "The Paul", and it was the most godawful POS I'd ever seen at that time. It was completely unstable, wouldn't hold tune for a complete song, sounded horrible, and literally threw 2 frets right off the neck! Plus it smelled funny! I should look them up, just out of curiosity as to materials used, etc. I'd be shocked if they are worth much.

Regarding the balsa wood, it is just a small chunk between the two pickup routs and doesn't affect the guitar's tone, it still sounds like an LP, just depends on what pickups you use(like all solid body electrics). Actually, balsa is considered to be an excellent tonewood, just can't be used due to its obvious non-durable properties. I have experience with all the LP models, having owned most of them over the years(Standard, Custom, Classic-chambered, Studio Lite, SG) and the Lite sounded the best of all of them, which is probably why its the only one I still have. I think they are the best deal out there for an LP with an ebony board and 60s neck profile. It's a tobacco burst, BTW.

Heard the "Paul" was POS, too.

Archived