Gibson Brands Forums

SG and neck profile

Alfa Sprint

Guest BentonC

I like a high action and a little relief. Most players will differ quite a bit on this one. I'd take it over to a luthier (get a reference- good ones can be hard to find depending on where you live), and talk to them about your playing style and they should be able to set it up how you might like it, and probably will be able to offer some tips.

Good posts! They are right, each and every guitar player will prefer something different in setups. Also, you can only set a guitar up as good as it wants to cooperate. If your neck is true and straight, and the truss rod works well, and the frets are in good shape, you can set up a GREAT playing guitar! If there are problems with any of the hardware, the neck or the frets, you can only do so much :)I set my Gibson's up totally different than my Fender's. On the Gibson's, I use less relief, cause they feel and play better for me that way. My Fender's usually have a lot of relief and higher action, cause I like to really dig in on the blues stuff!

Archived