Gibson Brands Forums

It is real

tstrummer

Effusive and excessive thanks to all correspondents about my Southern Jumbo. My son has promised that he will help me to post some pics - and to all those who have offered invitations to gatherings, get-togethers and tribal jamborees, count me in; have guitars, will travel (although I'm no more than a journeyman strummer at best and willl be shamed and embarrassed by my lack of dexterity in the face of all your expertise. It is, after all, I hope, the taking part that counts).

PS: I think the excellent Philippe and I may have gone too far in correcting the action - it's now so low that I've sacrificed too much tone and gained some unwanted fret buzz. I feel a return trip coming on.

PPS: Obviously, anyone who is not a professional musician and spends four figures on a guitar, has a well-developed sense of humour.

Effusive and excessive thanks to all correspondents about my Southern Jumbo. My son has promised that he will help me to post some pics - and to all those who have offered invitations to gatherings' date=' get-togethers and tribal jamborees, count me in; have guitars, will travel (although I'm no more than a journeyman strummer at best and willl be shamed and embarrassed by my lack of dexterity in the face of all your expertise. It is, after all, I hope, the taking part that counts).

PS: I think the excellent Philippe and I may have gone too far in correcting the action - it's now so low that I've sacrificed too much tone and gained some unwanted fret buzz. I feel a return trip coming on.

PPS: Obviously, anyone who is not a professional musician and spends four figures on a guitar, has a well-developed sense of humour.

[/quote']

No TS you have it badly wrong if you assume that I may have any form of dexterity or expertise!

Except that over the years I have grown to be very skilled at picking my nose and scratching my a$$!

Others on the forum are pro and semi-pro musicians and then there is us, what you call journeyman strummers!

But that doesn't mean that we can not now buy guitars we coveted in our youth but couldn't afford does it?

and that's a great quote

We'll see what we can do about a trip to Denmark Street.

BR

John

Just a couple of quick points:

to johnt - some of us still can't afford these lovely guitars in our dotage, but we go ahead and buy them anyway, if only because we feel the shiver of time passing by more acutely. I look forward to Denmark St.

and to thermionik - I'm afraid the excellent but eccentric Philippe was driven by me uging him ever lower; I may have been temporarily seduced by the percussive qualities of a little fret buzz which sounded so good in the workshop, but not when I started picking back home. Sigh.

tstrummer - with you on point one, I keep looking but ain't found a Gibson I want to afford yet. Your second point is debatable, because the guy should have known that you needed the action slightly higher and refused to go so low on a strummer. Listen to Johnt - his luthier is (a) Gibson trained and expert, and (B) good enough to give you what you need rather than what you want.

As a former worker-bee from Denmark Street back in the late sixties and seventies - I think the whole place has gone money-centric rather than muso-centric. The days of Parson-A and Person-M (sic) paying for repair work in carrier-bags of..... 'herbs' shall we say, are long gone. Long Gong. Pink. Flying tea-pot. Topographic Camambert. Lets go to My Chateau and see the Hangmans Incredible Daughter. Sorry - it happens occasionally, the old flash-backs.....

Archived