Gibson Brands Forums

I think that I'm going deaf.

Sancho Panza

Been trying to pick out the chords for this song for sometime now, I know that it starts with an E, but I don't know if it's any open or an barre. And is it just me or is the guitar out of tune (in the solo), I can't find the root, I asked a friend and neither he could find it, he said that it must be out of tune, and I think that I'll have to trust him on that one.

I'd have to sit down on the guitar and try to play it, but it sounds like a pretty easy pentatonic minor riff. Maybe it starts with a B major? Sometimes I get steered in the wrong direction if I misplay the fifth for the root chord.

Either way, that is some heavy psych. Too Much To Dream (the second song they play) is one of my favorite nuggets.

I'd have to sit down on the guitar and try to play it, but it sounds like a pretty easy pentatonic minor riff. Maybe it starts with a B major? Sometimes I get steered in the wrong direction if I misplay the fifth for the root chord.

Either way, that is some heavy psych. Too Much To Dream (the second song they play) is one of my favorite nuggets.

I've been trying to play the riff, and it sound pretty easy and sounds ok to me, but when you look at how they are playing it, you realise you're on the wrong fret, etc. Maybe I should stop watching the clip and just play it? With the chords it's the same way, but it's a bad clip, you can't even hear the rhytm part in the solo.

Really good song! Like this version better then the studio, this one has a kinda druggie feeling to it, really amazing. You should check out Stockholm '67 version of the song - AMAZING.

I've been trying to play the riff, and it sound pretty easy and sounds ok to me, but when you look at how they are playing it, you realise you're on the wrong fret, etc. Maybe I should stop watching the clip and just play it? With the chords it's the same way, but it's a bad clip, you can't even hear the rhytm part in the solo.

Might be a we tuned to each other instead of a tuner. And a lot of those old TV performances were poorly mic'd.

If it were me I would just play the song as you do. Keys are relative. Melodies are not.

You should check out Stockholm '67 version of the song - AMAZING.

Will do. Thanks for the heads up.

I would try starting the Too Much To Dream with a Dm chord. (Verse:Dm,C,Dm,C,Gm,Dm,Gm,Dm,G,Dm,C#m,Dm,C#m,G,F,Eb), (Chorus:Dm,G,Dm,G,Dm,GDm,A,Dm-C-Bb-C,Dm-C-Bb-C) That's one great song. I remember when it was released in 1966 by the Electric Prunes.

As I was always told, there are no dumb questions. That's how we learn. A Lester is a Les Paul guitar.

Kenny V

Cool song...

The notes of the main riff are Bb, Db, F, and Eb.

The bulk of the verse repeats Eb, Db, and Bb.

Or tune down half a step and the riff will be B, D, F#,

and E. Then the verses would be E, D and B. That's most

likely they way they did it since you mention the player

looks like he is playing in E. That's also how I played

along since I always tune to Eb anyway.

Hope that helps.

I would try starting the Too Much To Dream with a Dm chord. (Verse:Dm,C,Dm,C,Gm,Dm,Gm,Dm,G,Dm,C#m,Dm,C#m,G,F,Eb), (Chorus:Dm,G,Dm,G,Dm,GDm,A,Dm-C-Bb-C,Dm-C-Bb-C) That's one great song. I remember when it was released in 1966 by the Electric Prunes.

As I was always told, there are no dumb questions. That's how we learn. A Lester is a Les Paul guitar.

Kenny V

I actually tried it, will be sure to try it again. Obviously it's played with barre chords (most of the time). I remember that I had problems with which shape to play in; Is it a C in e-shaped barre chord or a-shaped? From what I've learned from myself (and something that I must stop trying to do) is that if I watch a video, like this one, I will try to replicate every move that they make, and if it doesn't sound like it, it's wrong.

I can imagine how one would react the first time you heard Ken's Bigsby with the tremolo and fuzz-tone. Must have been amazing!

Cool song...

The notes of the main riff are Bb, Db, F, and Eb.

The bulk of the verse repeats Eb, Db, and Bb.

Or tune down half a step and the riff will be B, D, F#,

and E. Then the verses would be E, D and B. That's most

likely they way they did it since you mention the player

looks like he is playing in E. That's also how I played

along since I always tune to Eb anyway.

Hope that helps.

Indeed! A real nice piece of garage psychedelia! Thanks, I will be sure to try that.

I was thinking about the solo part, the rhythm guitar is playing, what to ME, seems like a B, A and G-chords, kinda hard to hear the rhythm guitar, but that's a lot of chucking etc.

This is the second song you help me with - it seems to come so easy for you, do you just listen and pick up the chords right away? Or is it to obvious what the next chord will be?

Thanks again!

I was thinking about the solo part, the rhythm guitar is playing, what to ME, seems like a B, A and G-chords...

The solo is over the verse changes I think, Eb, Db, and Bb

This is the second song you help me with - it seems to come so easy for you, do you just listen and pick up the chords right away? Or is it to obvious what the next chord will be?

Thanks again!

Glad it helped. It comes easier now, but I've been doing this a while. I remember those times being stuck figuring stuff out,

so I feel your pain. We didn't have the Internet back then either! Generally I try to sing the riff. Then I go grab a guitar

and try to play what I'm singing. Riffs generally do follow predictable patterns, so you'll get that over time. Keep at it.

The solo is over the verse changes I think, Eb, Db, and Bb

Glad it helped. It comes easier now, but I've been doing this a while. I remember those times being stuck figuring stuff out,

so I feel your pain. We didn't have the Internet back then either! Generally I try to sing the riff. Then I go grab a guitar

and try to play what I'm singing. Riffs generally do follow predictable patterns, so you'll get that over time. Keep at it.

I feel with internet, that it has it's benefits, one can look up chords, tabs etc, but I think that if you don't use it you will develop your ear more, just by listening to the record.

Archived