Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson 339 vs Gretsch Tennessean

KDRR

I own a 339 but I used to own a 66 Gretsch Tennessean. My Grandmother bouth It for me with a 66 Fender Vibrolux. Both the amp and guitar were about $335 each.

The Tennessan was stolen from me in 75.and I haven`t played a Tennessan sinc.

Why I`m posting all this is. My Gibson 339 is the first semi hollow body guitar I`ve owned since the Tennessan (I know painted F-Holes). I waa wondering if anyone owned both guitar and what were their thought s between the two. Now I know the 339 is a better guitar but what say you?

I was looking at Tennesseans on Ebay thinking a lost an expensive guitar and saw that one like mine (a 66) went for $1600 , my 339 would go for that. Go figure. Keith

I'd have to say it's like comparing apples & oranges. Completely different in every way, so playability & tone won't be in the same ballpark. Btw, I own a 339 and Gibson Tennessean. A closer comparison vs the Gretsch, but they're still quite different from one another.

I'd have to say it's like comparing apples & oranges. Completely different in every way, so playability & tone won't be in the same ballpark. Btw, I own a 339 and Gibson Tennessean. A closer comparison vs the Gretsch, but they're still quite different from one another.

I wish I had the Tennessean back , I don`t know what I`d do with it but I did learn the Beatles I`m A Loser with it. K

I wish I had the Tennessean back , I don`t know what I`d do with it but I did learn the Beatles I`m A Loser with it. K

Is someone saying the 339 is a better player than the gretsch?? No way. I would say they are pretty equal. New 2,000 for a 339.00 Unless you go with the fancy top.

Is someone saying the 339 is a better player than the gretsch?? No way. I would say they are pretty equal. New 2,000 for a 339.00 Unless you go with the fancy top.

I don`t know what a Tenessean sell for now, as I said before , the one like my 66 was going for around $1600 and that was a vintage guitar. I remember it was a good guitar for certain things , but a 339 is good for everything and because of that I would think a 339 is a better guitar , I haven`t played a new Tenessean so I really don`t know and I`m not in a hurry to find out either. KDRidnour

I don`t know what a Tenessean sell for now, as I said before , the one like my 66 was going for around $1600 and that was a vintage guitar. I remember it was a good guitar for certain things , but a 339 is good for everything and because of that I would think a 339 is a better guitar , I haven`t played a new Tenessean so I really don`t know and I`m not in a hurry to find out either. KDRidnour

I was referring to the playabilty. I've never played a gretsch ( even their $500.00 line) that weren't goood playing, easy playing guitars. Played plenty of crummy Gibsons. I may be wrong but I am pretty sure you can swap pickups with many TV jones pups. Powertrons would work. You would also need a Bridge from truc-Arc or Compton. I have also read with these 339's. Right in this forum. To make sure you play them. There can be duds.

I think Gretsch has far better Quality control these days than Gibson does. Go to the Gretschpages forum. Lots of guys there playing Gibsons and Gretschs.

I've got a 335 and a 6120 Nashville. If I had to choose between a 339 and a Tennessean, I'd take the Tennessean.

If I had to choose between the 335 and the 6120, I'd take the 335, but thank goodness I don't have to make that choice. As as been said, they are all very different instruments.

Archived