Gibson Brands Forums

339 inherent low end?

Mule 1

I recently purchased a 339 figured top and absolutely love it! I was wondering though it seems to have a lot of bass response and I was wondering if that is normal. There is a lot of that high end bite as well which I know is inherent but I dint realize the low end was there. It can get muddy if I don't dial back the bass on the amp when using the neck pick up.

I know all guitars are different and there was only one figured to chose from so I'm hoping this is normal. All my other Gibson experience is with solid bodies. I do love this 339 though!

You may have to adjust the pickup height and/or pole pieces to suit your tone. I had to adjust my 339. Not a big deal, just a few minutes with a screw driver. The factory ships them with an "average" set up and the dealers should set it up to the preference of the customer. Tweak the pickups and adjust the amp and you should clean up the mud.

Thanks guy's I feel better confirming it's normal! I love the guitar. I finally have some elusive sounds I couldn't get before, Alex Lifeson's 2112 tone and Larry Carlton's Kid Charlemagne tone. And that's just the beginning!

Archived