Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Les Paul

Allan63

Hello All

This my new 1st Posting on the site and i hope i can tap on your knowledge of Pick ups, I have bought an Epiphone Les Paul Custom, its a great looking Guitar and sounds good, the pick ups sound ok but i have heard Gibson Burstbuckers or Seymour Duncan Humbuckers would be better on the Epiphone, I cant afford the Gibson Les Paul and if possible would like to get the nearest i can to it.

Would somebody have any idea of Pick ups that could help.

Regards

Allan

Allan,

Welcome to the forum.

Congrats on the new acquisition. How about a pic or two?

I don't have the pickups you are talking about so, I can't help you much there.

Someone will ask sooner or later (probably sooner) so we might as well get it out of the way.

What kind of amp are you playing through?

Willy

Welcome to the forum Allan.

As Willy said, what amp are you using?

It does make a bigger difference than you might think.

As for Burstbuckers, I love them. I have Burstbuckers 2 and 3 on my Gibson and on my Epi 59.

And they sound very good indeed.

As for SDs, well Pearly Gates or 59's are perhaps what comes closer to what you are looking for, but what do you play?

Classic Rock, Metal, Blues, Jazz?

Some pickups are more versitile than others (Gibson Dirty Fingers are excellent, except maybe, maybe for jazz).

But it also comes down to personal taste.

Sometimes, just a good valve amp will make a difference and you may not necessarily need to change pickups.

The guys will be posting and offering opinions and experience.

Oh, by the way, some will say that the Burstbucker Pros are actually the more interesting pickups.

It will eventually all come down to how much you want to spend [smile]

Allan,

Welcome to the forum.

Congrats on the new acquisition. How about a pic or two?

I don't have the pickups you are talking about so, I can't help you much there.

Someone will ask sooner or later (probably sooner) so we might as well get it out of the way.

What kind of amp are you playing through?

Willy

Hi willy

Thanks for your reply, i play my guitars through a Fender Blues Junior 15 watt and on bigger gigs a Fender Hot Rod Deville 212 60 watt both valve amps.

I play all sorts of music but maily 50'60 Rock'n'Roll, i also have an American Fender Strat and an Americam Tele special with the Texas Specila pick ups, I bought the Epi and i wanted some of the Gibson Sounds

Thanks

Allan

Regards

Allan

Welcome to the forum Allan.

As Willy said, what amp are you using?

It does make a bigger difference than you might think.

As for Burstbuckers, I love them. I have Burstbuckers 2 and 3 on my Gibson and on my Epi 59.

And they sound very good indeed.

As for SDs, well Pearly Gates or 59's are perhaps what comes closer to what you are looking for, but what do you play?

Classic Rock, Metal, Blues, Jazz?

Some pickups are more versitile than others (Gibson Dirty Fingers are excellent, except maybe, maybe for jazz).

But it also comes down to personal taste.

Sometimes, just a good valve amp will make a difference and you may not necessarily need to change pickups.

The guys will be posting and offering opinions and experience.

Oh, by the way, some will say that the Burstbucker Pros are actually the more interesting pickups.

It will eventually all come down to how much you want to spend [smile]

Thanks for your reply

i play mainly a clean sound as we do mainly 50's 60's Rock'n'Roll, holly, Berry , Elvis etc, Beatles.

i use a fender blues junr and Hot Rod Deville 60 watt valve amp

Allan

Hi n welcome

I have an epiphone LP standard n I had vintage reissued PAF's installed in mine. i like them better than the burstbuckers or the S.D humbuckers.

They have more of the vintage les paul sound you are looking for.

Hello All

This my new 1st Posting on the site and i hope i can tap on your knowledge of Pick ups, I have bought an Epiphone Les Paul Custom, its a great looking Guitar and sounds good, the pick ups sound ok but i have heard Gibson Burstbuckers or Seymour Duncan Humbuckers would be better on the Epiphone, I cant afford the Gibson Les Paul and if possible would like to get the nearest i can to it.

Would somebody have any idea of Pick ups that could help.

Regards

Allan

Hi n welcome

I have an epiphone LP standard n I had vintage reissued PAF's installed in mine. i like them better than the burstbuckers or the S.D humbuckers.

They have more of the vintage les paul sound you are looking for.

Thanks for your reply, i shall take onboard your advive.

Regards

Allan

Archived