Gibson Brands Forums

PR150 VS

memphishorn

Went to Guitar Center in Nashville to trade or sell and 12 string Bajo Sexto that I didn't need and ended up with a straight up trade on a PR150VS. I was amazed at the sound that comes from a $149 plywood guitar. It has good low end and a thumpy mid range. I had actually been looking at Blueridge and Masterbuilt Spruce/Mahogany guitars and was going to use the Bajo Sexto money for that purchase.

I'm trying to convince myself that with this guitar I can set tight for a while. Probably will get a bone saddle and the action lowered. Not a real fan of the tuners yet, but to replace those starts to diminish the value of this deal. I'm also getting used to a neck that's wider than I'm used to.

Love the vintage sunburst.

Ya I've got a PR-150NA from 1998 and I love it! I bought it on eBay back in 2001 and it came with a cheap chipboard case too all for just $125 including shipping. It's easily the guitar I play the most! I've never jacked with the setup or even tweaked the truss rod, I just put Martin 12's on it and it plays and sounds amazing for such a cheap guitar. I've been considering adding a bone nut and saddle and changing the tuners to Grovers but like you said it is so great as is and so cheap it may be better left alone.

You got some pics of yours?

how's it sound with the bone saddle installed? Is there a big improvement?

I think it sounds better. I also had the action lowered and the neck adjusted and it now plays very easy and sounds like a guitar that costs 4 times as much or more.

My next itch is to take the pickguard off and replace it with a better one. The original was applied so that it is not symetrically even on the rosette. It's a small detail but is buggin me to look at it. I have researched it and it appears that a hair dryer and some patience will get it off.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it sounds better. I also had the action lowered and the neck adjusted and it now plays very easy and sounds like a guitar that costs 4 times as much or more.

My next itch is to take the pickguard off and replace it with a better one. The original was applied so that it is not symetrically even on the rosette. It's a small detail but is buggin me to look at it. I have researched it and it appears that a hair dryer and some patience will get it off.

I purchased a PR-150VS a couple of months ago. I had gone to Guitar Center intending to get another Epi acoustic. I planning on spending at least $300 for something in the low/mid-level range. Long story short, I played a PR-150 mostly out of curiousity. I was completely "Blown-Away" by the sound/tone and set-up of this $129.00 (on sale) guitar. Nothing else I played, including other makers could match it's sound quality; even in the $250 price range. An amazing guitar and value for the price !! .... (IMO)

Faded....

My take on this, as with any guitar, is that if it plays itself and needs no or very minor alteration and setup, it's a wonderful instrument.

Each of us will have different feelings on what constitutes the above.

I think that playability is the number one factor to consider regardless whether it's a "board" guitar, an AE or an acoustic. Solid electronics if the former two, also - or electronics that might be replaced if they're defective.

But... audiences mostly don't hear what we hear in terms of fine variations in tone. Yeah, a PR5E won't boom like a dread or jumbo, especially with my choice of extremely light strings, so that's a factor. Strings always are a factor, along with setup.

But the bottom line is that within a range of tone, if the guitar plays itself for you, it's probably a super choice whether it is a high or low end of a manufacturer's offerings. And no two instruments are identical anyway.

m

My take on this, as with any guitar, is that if it plays itself and needs no or very minor alteration and setup, it's a wonderful instrument.

Each of us will have different feelings on what constitutes the above.

I think that playability is the number one factor to consider regardless whether it's a "board" guitar, an AE or an acoustic. Solid electronics if the former two, also - or electronics that might be replaced if they're defective.

But... audiences mostly don't hear what we hear in terms of fine variations in tone. Yeah, a PR5E won't boom like a dread or jumbo, especially with my choice of extremely light strings, so that's a factor. Strings always are a factor, along with setup.

But the bottom line is that within a range of tone, if the guitar plays itself for you, it's probably a super choice whether it is a high or low end of a manufacturer's offerings. And no two instruments are identical anyway.

m

Milod,

I agree with your views. However, this thread is about a specific guitar. A $150.00 guitar, made by Epiphone. With that in mind, this is the best $150.00 guitar out there. (IMO) Now, I am aware that no two guitars are alike in any price range. Something to consider is, .... had I walked into G.C. with $1500.00 to spend; I wouldn't have even played this guitar or any other below $500.00. Ya get my point?

Faded....

Faded...

Well, I'm old. <grin> So that tends to mean that I look at things differently. I quit looking at "I have $$$ to spend and by golly I'm goin' to" years ago.

Nowadays it's more a matter of "I want X that will do Y." Then I look for what may fit and is within budget.

Sometimes even that will bring some error.

But frankly I've become rather prejudiced toward Epis regardless of type. But there's still something about a given guitar that somehow will grab you while even an identical model of the same brand will not. That's the point I was trying to make.

When it comes to guitars, I think the budget has a top end, but then about anything that fits the need under that price is worth looking into. This particular guitar would seem to be a good example of why.

m

Archived