Gibson Brands Forums

1976 ES-335 TD help?

Spot

Hi Guys,..was considering going to view a '76 335. Looks like a Norlin era model with classic Norlin era back of headstock Serial.

Had a few questions for you 335 experts:-

1. Will a '76 generally have that narrow nut as the late '60's early '70's do?

2. What year did they start getting wider nuts?

3. Any issues with quality for these era 335's

I 'm really looking for the thinner bodied and lighter 335's from this era but need a wider nut, i.e 42-44 mm

The '80 -'90's i've heard are keepers but the one's I've played are heavy and wide bodied bastards!

Any thoughts and recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

:)

If it was made in the 70's probably has the "volute" on the back of the headstock.

Don't know much about the nut width, but I would check and see if it has a "full center block"!

I've seen 335's from that era w/o a full center block through the body.

If it was made in the 70's probably has the "volute" on the back of the headstock.

Don't know much about the nut width, but I would check and see if it has a "full center block"!

I've seen 335's from that era w/o a full center block through the body.

Interesting Ken! What part of the guitar was the missing center block? At the back (lower bout)?

[confused]

I had a 335 from the '74/early '75 era that was very light and comfortable. Don't know about the nut width or center block, but it was "noticeably" lighter in weight than my 2000 built Historic 345. It probably had the most comfortable/fastest/easiest playing neck of any guitar I've ever owned.

The only reason I sold it was because I had literally played it to death, and it was worn out. It was in need of a lot of work and decided to just sell it as "original".

I had a 335 from the '74/early '75 era that was very light and comfortable. Don't know about the nut width or center block, but it was "noticeably" lighter in weight than my 2000 built Historic 345. It probably had the most comfortable/fastest/easiest playing neck of any guitar I've ever owned.

The only reason I sold it was because I had literally played it to death, and it was worn out. It was in need of a lot of work and decided to just sell it as "original".

I had a '74 for many years which was a lovely light guitar but the nut was just too narrow for my liking...

Hence my questions about the '76 Norlin guitars.

The '74/'75 catalog I have states 1 9/16" nut width (40mm) for the 335, 345, and 325. The same catalog lists 1 11/16" for the 355.

Sorry Larry,..I'm a tad confused???? What year has the wider nut then?

[confused]

You can't reliably find the wider nut width (1 11/16") until the dot re-issue came out in 1981. Prior to that, you need to measure every single instrument you are interested in to make sure what you are getting. If you are into 335's, you need to expand your horizons beyond this forum. Go to Charlie Gelber's excellent website, es-335.org, for some of the most definitive, detailed articles on all aspects of the 335 over the years. He also has links to other ES-specific websites.

Sorry Larry,..I'm a tad confused???? What year has the wider nut then?

[confused]

Not year, model. My '74/'75 catalog lists the ES-355 model as having the wider 1 11/16" nut width. All other ES thinlines are listed as having the narrower 1 9/16".

You can't reliably find the wider nut width (1 11/16") until the dot re-issue came out in 1981. Prior to that, you need to measure every single instrument you are interested in to make sure what you are getting.

..this is what I think to,...Hit and miss and I may just get lucky.

Thanks for that link BTW...

[thumbup]

Not year, model. My '74/'75 catalog lists the ES-355 model as having the wider 1 11/16" nut width. All other ES thinlines are listed as having the narrower 1 9/16".

...is it just me or is Larry speaking French???

:rolleyes:

Archived