Gibson Brands Forums

Epi LP Std plaintop questions

oneal lane

I am brand new to the Les Paul world. I bought a Epi LP Std "plain top" traditional sunburst yesterday. All my electrics are Stratocasters or Squier Strats.

My first question regards the bridge components which, I detect are alloy, and not steel except for the mounting posts. As with the cheeper Strats "pot metal" is sometimes used for bridge parts. Is this the case with the Epi's

Is a replacement with all steel bridge and stop advisable and improve sound? this is the case with the Strats.

My second question regards the top finish. I have run across the debate topic of: Epiphone uses "paper"

or a "thin veneer" to finish the tops. Epiphone claims the tops are maple? Is this really the case and a veneer applied for the fancy finish tops. It seems silly that a "plain top" would need a veneer if the wood for the top is actually maple.

Thanks in advance to all help

OL

Question #1: I've never had any issues with the stock Epi Bridges, or

with aftermarket hardware. They might be chrome-plated "mystery metal",

but, it works for me! [thumbup]

Question #2:

...all the signature sound of a Gibson Les Paul at a fraction of the cost!!!

Mahogany body

Maple veneer over carved top

BTW, WELCOME to the Forum! Please contibute at your convenience [thumbup] .

box-house-thumb-400x300.jpg

Hi and welcome

yes it is a mahogany body and a carved maple top, from what my tech told me the plain top does not have the veneer only the plus top and the ultra.

The bridge and tail piece are a new design by epi n is still pat pending. They are excellent and you should not have any problems. The only changes I made to mine was a upgraded version of the grover tuners and changed the switch to a switchcraft.

Enjoy it, it is the closest thing you will ever get to a gibson with out forking over thousands of dollars.

I am brand new to the Les Paul world. I bought a Epi LP Std "plain top" traditional sunburst yesterday. All my electrics are Stratocasters or Squier Strats.

My first question regards the bridge components which, I detect are alloy, and not steel except for the mounting posts. As with the cheeper Strats "pot metal" is sometimes used for bridge parts. Is this the case with the Epi's

Is a replacement with all steel bridge and stop advisable and improve sound? this is the case with the Strats.

My second question regards the top finish. I have run across the debate topic of: Epiphone uses "paper"

or a "thin veneer" to finish the tops. Epiphone claims the tops are maple? Is this really the case and a veneer applied for the fancy finish tops. It seems silly that a "plain top" would need a veneer if the wood for the top is actually maple.

Thanks in advance to all help

OL

I bought my guitar new from a local shop. The serial number starts 0911, I am guessing I have a 2009 model?

Si! November, 2009.

YYMMFFRRRRR -- new model codes, no letter prefix

Beginning 2008-09 models are appearing w/o a letter prefix to i.d. the factory.

Based on what is reported so far, it appears that the serial code may be:

YY = first two digits = year of manufacture

MM = second two digits = month of manufature

FF = third two digits = factory i.d. where made

RRRRR = remaining digits = production run number

Cool, Thats how I pick all my guitars, I'll sit and pick on them all n the one that feels the best is the one. Don't worry about the tail piece, when changing strings only do the 3 bottom or the three top first, its not good for the neck to take them all off at the same time.

Well all and all I love it just like it is. I walked in and picked it up first. There was something special about the feel of this particular one. I tried out 5 or 6 other LP and no other one felt "just right"

That's an urban legend, and completely untrue. It is a good idea to be careful not to let the bridge or tailpiece fall off and scratch the guitar on its way to the floor.

+1. I take all the strings off every time I clean the fretboard and I have never had any problems.

That's an urban legend, and completely untrue. It is a good idea to be careful not to let the bridge or tailpiece fall off and scratch the guitar on its way to the floor.

Agreed ..... the neck is in it's most natural state w/ no strings on it, and it likely didn't have strings on it 'til it was prep'ed before leaving the factory..... string tension is unnatural for the wood (and, along with the angle, is likely partly responsible for headstocks snapping off, as happens fairly often with a good drop/fall, compared to other neck/headstock angle/other non LP guitars/brands so..... SAVE THE HEADSTOCKS...JUST SAY NO to strings!!!! [wink] ....and accidental falls and drops

Seriously, though, the bridge/tailpiece falling off is the only drawback, and is absolutely not a problem as long as one is aware of the possibility. Interestingly, I love to change strings and get the fretboards cleaned/ and conditioned, but.... I don't care for the tone/sound of new strings, for whatever reason, so..... go figure [laugh] I'm "funny" that way...

+1. I take all the strings off every time I clean the fretboard and I have never had any problems.

It's almost like the stop bars want to be on the floor huh? They always end up there. ha! Finally after a couple nicked finishes and cussing I learned.

Archived