Gibson Brands Forums

Marc Bolan Les Paul

Old School Chick

I found out recently that Gibson have finally decided to make a very limited edition Marc Bolan Les Paul in two finishes. As they are very expensive and priced out of the range of the mainstream guitarist, I was wondering if Epiphone had any plans to make a version of the Marc Bolan Les Paul?

could buy an epi and mod it?

The closest you're gonna get in the current Epi lineup is an LP Custom in black and refinish the body:

EpiLPCustom.jpg

Then replace the pickups with a T-top in the bridge and a zebra in the neck. Also the pickguard and pickup surrounds.

According to Gibson, the original is a late 50's LP Standard body with an LP Custom replacement neck.

The body was relacquered in a "champagne" finish and the neck in black.

Marc had (as I understand) a '59 sunburst. He had the front refinished to make it look like a Gretsch as he was an Eddie Cochran a fan. After he had the guitar a couple of years he threw it against a wall (when he had a meltdown about something)and destroyed the neck. This was replaced with a neck from a Custom (?). Therefore, the neck was not refinished and wasn't the original one. There are pictures which show him with guitar with the original neck.

Archived