Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Texan Top - need advice?

Flight959

As some of you may know I was lucky enough to come by an original 1963 Epiphone Texan. Now this guitar sounds and plays amazing!! There has been no changes in the guitar since I bought it however I am becoming more aware of certain cracks in the top finish which were present when I bought the guitar. There are 4 cracks in total. Im not even sure they are cracks but they certainly have affected the finish. There is a crack that runs from the back of the bridge backwards with another one about running next to it about half an inch away.

There is another small (about 2 inch) crack above the soundhole near the edge and on the opposite side by the pickguard.

Now in all fairness this guitar is 48yrs old and it has been played...

Here are some snaps... Its actually really hard to photograph, but if you look closely you can see what im talking about..

007.jpg

011.jpg

002.jpg

Is this something that is likely to have happened some time ago?? and is it something to be worried about??

Im not bothered how she looks however is it likely to get worse??

Is it common in this age of guitar?

Thanks in adavance!!

Regards

Simon

I'd be surprised by any 48-year-old guitar didn't have finish cracks. Wouldn't hurt to take it in to a repairman and look inside the guitar. If they are indeed cracks in the wood, you should get them seen to. If they are finish cracks, get used to them because they come with the territory of owning a vintage guitar.

Beautiful guitar, by the way.

Thanks guys!

Took the guitar to three different people today. All of them said that the cracks were not an issue however all of them noticed that there was a slight lift on the bridge. The bridge may have lifted since I got the guitar or sometime before. It may have even been like this for sometime. Ive been told the bridge would have to be removed and then re glued!.. One guy didnt want to touch it and the other two were quite happy, both quoting me for a job that will take around 2hrs....

It doesnt effect the playability or the sound in anyway and it isnt really noticable unless your looking for it... It may have been this way for sometime.

Do you guys think I should get the work done. Ive been told its not an issue at the moment...

Regards

Thanks guys!

Took the guitar to three different people today. All of them said that the cracks were not an issue however all of them noticed that there was a slight lift on the bridge. The bridge may have lifted since I got the guitar or sometime before. It may have even been like this for sometime. Ive been told the bridge would have to be removed and then re glued!.. One guy didnt want to touch it and the other two were quite happy, both quoting me for a job that will take around 2hrs....

It doesnt effect the playability or the sound in anyway and it isnt really noticable unless your looking for it... It may have been this way for sometime.

Do you guys think I should get the work done. Ive been told its not an issue at the moment...

Regards

Simon, your Texan is one of those with the plastic bridge, which isn`t glued down, but held in place by four bolts. Over time (And this one`s 47 years old) the bridge distorts, and cracks, so a little lifting at the back shouldn`t be an issue with your guitar, and it looks pretty good, going by the photo. So if the guitar sounds fine to you, I`d leave well alone.

Steve.

P.S. My 62 Texan arrived today, it`s fantastic. [biggrin] Only issues appear to be a bit of Mildew inside, and a small part of the furthest back brace has come unglued, but apart from that great.

Steve,

Where are the bolts?? Underneath?? I was told this bridge is glued on and shown where the glue crystallises over a long period of time..

I'll post better pics (close up) of the bridge if you would like to see it?

Congrats on getting yours!! :-)

Any pics?

Regards

Structurally, the bridge may not be going anywhere any time soon, but I'm of the opinion that you (and the guitar) would be well-served by getting the bridge replaced with a wood one. The guitar will sound better. Years ago I had a Gibson LG-1 with a plastic bridge and switched it out with wood and there was a significant improvement in tone and volume.

And if I may suggest it, if you do make the switch, go with a non-adjustable saddle. Years ago, I had a '66 J-45 ADJ (this is getting depressing remembering the guitars I used to own...) with the adjustable saddle and I had it removed, the saddle slot filled and then re-routed for a non-adjustable saddle. It also led to a big improvement in the tone and sustain.

I know some people swear by the adjustable bridges and say they aren't big tone-suckers, but my experience was different. Frank Ford agrees with me (or, rather, I agree with him) and he goes into it in some detail here:

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luthier/Technique/Guitar/Bridges/HumBirdBr/hbirdbr1.html

Structurally, the bridge may not be going anywhere any time soon, but I'm of the opinion that you (and the guitar) would be well-served by getting the bridge replaced with a wood one. The guitar will sound better. Years ago I had a Gibson LG-1 with a plastic bridge and switched it out with wood and there was a significant improvement in tone and volume.

And if I may suggest it, if you do make the switch, go with a non-adjustable saddle. Years ago, I had a '66 J-45 ADJ (this is getting depressing remembering the guitars I used to own...) with the adjustable saddle and I had it removed, the saddle slot filled and then re-routed for a non-adjustable saddle. It also led to a big improvement in the tone and sustain.

I know some people swear by the adjustable bridges and say they aren't big tone-suckers, but my experience was different. Frank Ford agrees with me (or, rather, I agree with him) and he goes into it in some detail here:

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luthier/Technique/Guitar/Bridges/HumBirdBr/hbirdbr1.html

Thanks VERY MUCH for your reply.

I wont be making any changes soon to this guitar. Im not an acoustic player but the TONE of this guitar made me want it real bad. I dont want to change anything on it as its just perfect....seriously.... I think she must be one of the lucky ones...

I'd love to know whats going on with her... I had a friend round tonight and was telling him my tales of woe... I got the guitar out and the back of the bridge is again flush with the top...

Its 5h!t weather here in the UK... had the heating on in the house but it wasnt that warm.... Could that really effect it that much??

Thanks for your time people.....

Regards

Simon

Flight959

Steve,

Where are the bolts?? Underneath?? I was told this bridge is glued on and shown where the glue crystallises over a long period of time..

I'll post better pics (close up) of the bridge if you would like to see it?

Congrats on getting yours!! :-)

Any pics?

Regards

This site should show you all you need to know Simon.

http://www.lutherie.net/B-25_bridge.html

Steve.

Thanks...

Any idea how much something like this would cost??

A couple of weeks ago when I thought I was in with a good chance of getting either your Texan or another one (64) with the plastic saddle, I asked around a couple of luthier/repairers, and I got a firm quote of £110 from one and £120 from the other.

Hope this helps.

Steve.

Archived