Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Noobie Question

MrAwesome

I have 2 questions for Gibson's Les Paul.

1. How come some Gibson Les Paul "Standards" Such as the 1960 one, not have the Standard Stamp on the Truss Rod bell cover?

2. Which Gibson Les Paul Model Can I find that is a "Standard" stamped guitar with Amber Top Hats, and is in Heritage Cherry Sunburst by Gibson? The 2008 Les Paul Standard has one but I HATE the new locking feature thing on the guitar. (if you know any please post a link or a name)

In answer to your second question I advise exactly the same as Dr. Gonzo in the above post.

As far as your second question goes;

1. How come some Gibson Les Paul "Standards" Such as the 1960 one, not have the Standard Stamp on the Truss Rod bell cover?

The '52 - '59 Les Pauls were never called 'Standard' by Gibson. They were just the 'Les Paul' model.

Informally, on the producton line in Kalamazoo, it was known as the 'regular' Les Paul - as opposed to the 'Custom', 'Junior', 'Special' and so on.

The 'Standard' reference first came along just before the model was discontinued in 1960.

For this reason all 1952 - 1960 'Standard' re-issues have blank TRC's - because the TRC's of the originals were blank.

When the humbucker-equipped carved-top LP was re-introduced from about '75/'76 it was known as the Standard and that was when this script first appeared on the TRC.

P.

Archived