Gibson Brands Forums

Going to an opera

Silenced Fred

Versatile- it was really sad, a lot of people started sighing very heavily and the public displays were what made me though of it. This is art, art that you are paying for and they just wanted it all rushed through!

Also, I also noticed that literally almost half of the audience was in jeans and a casual shirt. I am all for casual, but IMO the cheapest tickets were 80 bucks for nosebleed, and almost everything else was over 100, get a pair of Dockers and a dress shirt. But I digress.

It was certainly a nice change of pace from every day life to take 5 hours and watch this spectacle

Glad you enjoyed it. It's always a good idea to make sure you eat before going to the opera, they tend to run very long.

My daughter is studying to be an opera singer. I wasn't necessarily a fan of opera until I was exposed to it on a more personal basis. I enjoy the music and now have an appreciation for the hard work it takes to learn the music, learn the language and proper diction, understand stage movement and then be able to convey the emotional connection of the artist with the music to the audience. Kind of into it now. She's in her 5th year of study and in the middle of a series of college auditions right now (5 down with 5 more to go). She came up with a list of 10 schools she would be happy to attend to pursue a degree in vocal performance, applied to all 10 schools and was invited to go for a live audition to each....didn't see that coming. She loves everything about it and we love and support her, so I'm now enjoying opera.

Archived