Gibson Brands Forums

Looks like I'm going to have to shield my Les Paul after all...

whiteop

My Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro has some kind of electrostatic hum. It goes away when you touch the output jack but not very well elsewhere on the guitar. This is one of those guitars with the push / pull pots for coil tapping / single coil type tones and it hums whether the pots are pulled out or pushed in. Thought I had it figured out the other day when I swapped out a cable and it seemed to kill most of the hum but it's still there. I've checked my pedals, cables, and even used other guitars to diagnose the problem. My shielded guitars don't have the problem so I'm guessing she needs to be shielded. Anyone else dealt with and fixed this problem? Would appreciate any input with anyone that's had to deal with it and fixed it.

My Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro has some kind of electrostatic hum. It goes away when you touch the output jack but not very well elsewhere on the guitar. This is one of those guitars with the push / pull pots for coil tapping / single coil type tones and it hums whether the pots are pulled out or pushed in. Thought I had it figured out the other day when I swapped out a cable and it seemed to kill most of the hum but it's still there. I've checked my pedals, cables, and even used other guitars to diagnose the problem. My shielded guitars don't have the problem so I'm guessing she needs to be shielded. Anyone else dealt with and fixed this problem? Would appreciate any input with anyone that's had to deal with it and fixed it.

My guess is your bridge is not grounded correctly. If it is connected properly you should hear a significant decrease in hum when you touch the strings. If you don't then you most likely don't have a good ground to the bridge. If you have a volt/ohm meter you can quickly check for continuity ( a complete circuit) by touching one lead to the bridge and one to the shield of your cable or the back of a pot. you should see that it makes a complete circuit. If you don't have a volt meter you can check quick by taking a piece of wire and taping it or wrapping it around one of the lugs on a pot that is grounded to the top of the pot and touch the other side of the wire to the bridge ensuring you are also making a connection with your hand with it. If the hum goes away or diminishes greatly then you have a bad bridge ground.

If you do post your findings and I can help you fix it.

Andy

If it goes away when you touch the output jack but not when you touch the string that you need to fix your bridge ground wire.

+1 Or you could test the easy way as Searcy just posted before I got my ramble out. Just make sure it has the metal exposed and isn't covered in plastic! [biggrin]

Here's a few pictures to help understand. If you have a multimeter you can check for continuity.

Ground3.jpg

This is what your meter should read if set to ohms.

Ground4.jpg

If the picture above is what you see then you have a broken ground wire. Fix that and all your problems will go away.

Archived