Gibson Brands Forums

Upgrading the Insides of a Les Paul Custom

Gary Moore Tribute

So far I have Gold Gibson 490R & 498T Pickups

And a switch craft toggle with a thicker head

Do I need anything else? (Tho I think the 500's already inside on the controls should be ok)

Solid,

First, I'm not quite sure what you mean by a Switchcreaft toggle with a thicker head as that is the way my wife describes me! (she is referring to the one above my shoulders)

Switchcraft toggle switches come in long and short versions. If you have the short version you should be OK.

The short answer is no. You do not need anything else. If you are changing out parts you may want to consider a Switchcraft jack but it is only a precaution. It is also only a couple of bucks.

Now for the short version of the long answer:

As to your pickups, they are an excellent choice.

After that, any other changes are a matter of taste, aesthetics, subtle (and not so subtle) tone changes or control changes.

The control changes I speak of can either be major or minor.

The reason for me bringing up the control changers is that, if my memory serves me, your pickups are 4 lead pickups.

With any pickup you always have the choice of modern with dependent volumes (stock), Modern with independent volumes, 50's wiring with dependent volumes, 50's wiring with independent volumes. (If I am making any of these changes I normally change out the caps.) However, none of these changes are necessary.

In addition, with 4 lead pickups you can combine the above with a plethora of options. These can consist of multiple configurations by the use of push/pull pots. You can achieve coil splitting, series, parallel and several other options up to complete Jimmy Page wiring.

Back to your original question....If you are simply replacing pickups...then pickups are all you need.

Edit: When I wrote 4 lead I should have written 4 conductor + ground.

Willy

you don't need them, but changing caps can be as much fun and improve the tone as much as the pups. also, in my p-90 specail, i noticed a SIGNIFICANT improvement by changing the thin 4 conducter wire that goes to the switch to the sheilded. it might be fun to experiment with that and see if you get an improvement.

ultimately, it can be said you aren't getting the most out of the pups if the rest of the wiring is not up to snuff. caps make a big improvement, as does how you choose to wire it (the above mentioned 50's or 60's spec). as for the wire type, i can say it makes no difference in a fender but for some reson it has made a difference in the p-90 lps i have done.

don't take this as suggesting it is not valed to change pups or that other mods must be made, but rather just more suggestions to try should you wish.

dont forget the bumble bees!! other than the nut it was the most important change i made to mine.

i swapped to 57 classics and couldnt really tell that much of a difference. epiphone really is making good pickups these days,

but once i swapped the caps to bumble bees the whole thing opened up to a become a new beast all its own!!

Archived