Gibson Brands Forums

Venus

daveinspain

This is one of the tunes my band plays and as I am the only guitar player now I have to do rhythm and lead. Let me tell you it sounds so easy but it's a *****... The first lead comes in pretty quickly in the song and I have been struggling with it for a while now. I know for some of you seasoned players it's a walk in the park but it's giving me a very hard time. First of you have to keep the E minor A major rhythm pumping, which takes a while itself to get the timing right and then jump from the first position open chords and slide into the lead at the top of the neck. Lead comes in at 57 seconds into the song...

Anyone else have trouble with this or am I just still wet behind the ears... 8-[

are you asking for advise or blowing steam? maybe both? you say it seems simple and actually from the sounds of it you may be making it too complicated, as in taking on too much as the only guitar player? if you had 2 guitar players, yea, now you might be playing the role of 2 guitar players, but that doesn't mean you have to play 2 guitar parts! forgive me if i sound like a know it all, but i'm gonna try and help. and i get it i think, there have been plenty of times i have been stumped with what i think is an easy song but i don't feel like i got it. i'll try and share my ideas.

1st, take a step back from where you are and what you are trying to do, and start over. what are the fundamentals of the song that have to be played? in the video the guitar player is playing a rhythm and the keyboard is playing a riff. if you are trying to play the key part and the guitar part like in the video, it ain't gonna happen. it just so happens the guitar player is playing what the drummer is playing. so in my opinion, to play the song like that as a 3 piece, let the drummer and bass player hold thier slot while you concentrate on your guitar duties of playing the main riff (the keys part in the video). just a suggestion, although i may be assuming too much, that might not be an issue.

now, when i have trouble going from one part to another, really it comes down to a timing issue. what i mean is that if it seems that there is not enough space in the tune to make the jump, it makes the jump seem hard, but what makes it hard is keeping it in time and when it happens just a little off if i am trying to keep the part i origionally wanted to nail i am then playing catch up. the solution is to keep the time. sometimes concentrating on the timing of the song makes it happen, but a little trick you can do is to play the last chord as a muted ghost note while your hand is on its way to the position you want to be in on the beat. also, you could do the reverse-if you get caught short, play the first note of the beat you want to be on as a ghost note and start the solo on the second note-in reality, you already played the first note, it was a *chunk*.

now, about timing (i pause to remind you not to take this wrong, like i'm treating you as an amauter, as i am one) . timing is everything, and timing is your freind. timing on the part of the guitar player hides a lot of mistakes, and i think the key to this tune (well, ALL tunes) is how well you lock into the timing. that means the drummer. always, always, lock into the drummer. everyone follows the drummer. everyone. if the drummer is playing slightly different than what the song is, or different than what is in your head, it doesn't matter. we all follow the drummer. it is those little in between stuff the drummer plays, the slight variations on where is cymbols atart and end that determine where our notes start and end. now, if in following the drummer and you can't play your riff/chord progression/lead essentail to the song, either you are not locked in or the drummer is not playing the correct rythm. usually, it is me. but the drummer is my friend.

Good stuff Stein... You nailed it. It's the timing... I'm starting to get it now, actually it was starting to come together when I made this post. Concentrating on the timing is helping a lot plus playing the part of going from the rhythm to the lead over and over again and playing out the lead.... I'll get it, I was just blowing off steam I guess like you suggested...

hahahaha, made in The Netherlands [thumbup][flapper]

Its a nice song to play.

The writer of the song (and the guitarplayer in the video) is Robbie van Leeuwen.

Shocking Blue was founded in The Hague.

The singer Mariska Veres died 2 years ago :(

In the song you hear 2 guitars, a six string akoestick, and a Telecaster.

The normal chords are done with the akoestic guitar (Em-A- A-D-C)en the riff and solo with a Telecaster.

The solo is tricky, Robbie does a lot of hammer-ons and picking, sounds simple but it isn't

here two more songs of Robbie

The Motions (his first band)

And the best song of Shocking Blue: Never Mary a Railroadman

Archived