Gibson Brands Forums

A question for Ultra II owners...

Barcham

Lately I've been thinking of picking up an acoustic/electric to have a few more sound options and browsing a local classified site I found an Ultra II for sale with a brown Gibson style Gator case, both in mint condition. I've always been fascinated by this guitar and I was wondering if anyone who owns one could give me their honest opinion on it. Is it as flexible as it seems in the video on the Epi site and does the nanomag give a decent acoustic sound? Basically, is it good enough to play some acoustic Led Zep or Bon Jovi tunes for example? I might also sell my Ebony Standard if this one can put out a comparable LP sound. I've already searched the board and there is very little info on the Ultra II around here and I have much more confidence asking for opinions here than reading random reviews on the net, many of which are useless.

Take into consideration that I only play as a hobby and not in public and I'm basically a novice player. I'm not looking for perfection, just flexibility and a decent sound. Or would I be better off keeping the LP I have and looking for a decent acoustic/electric, although that would not be as flexible tone wise or be able to switch on the fly between electric and acoustic tones.

Anyways, thanks in advance for any advice you guys can give me!

I have 2 Ultra-IIs, one of each colour, haven't played them in a long time and this post prompted me to pull one out. The NanoMag sounds most convincing when you play caged cords and the like, if you play barre chords it's less convincing.

Good thing about the Ultra-II is the dual jacks, one for the NanoMag and one for the magnetic pups so you can have one cable going into an electric rig and another into a good acoustic amp, it's great fun.

Archived