Gibson Brands Forums

New Member- Moderne quality = Gibson imo

GOODWOOD

Hi guys new member. Got my first Gibson Explorer E2 as a HS grad gift and stopped playing around 30. Last year got the itch and have been on a guitar buying binge.

Before dropping 5 grand plus on a Gibson Moderne I first bought a black Epi Moderne from the early 90s. Other than the muddy sound when overdriven on a Marshall it became my fav guitar. Thats compared to some stiff comp being a Gib 59 rei vos,Evh Wolfgang Fender and the Explorer E2. What I liked was because of my bad back it was the lightest and hung well. From looking down in playing position the body disapears and you have nothing but neck. The only mod I did was replace the pups with some burstbuckers which really brightened the tone and cleaned it up when being overdriven.Also there is alot of mojo coming from this oddball but in my eyes oozes with retro. I then bought a natural unpainted Epi Moderne.

Being so impressed with the $700 and $1000 Epi Modernes, I jumped in with both feet and recently bought the big boy, real deal Gibson Moderne. Well, when I cracked open the incredible looking case, I was not really floored nor by my initial playing.

Of course the huge GIBSON name on the headstock first grabs your attention and you crack that smile but then your see how identical the 2 are. Picking it up it feels the same weight. The neck looks exactly the same and playing I give the edge to the Epi. The Gib has some seriously wide frets and draggy. I have a accousticly wonderful room with wood floors and played all 3 unplugged back to back. To my slightly damaged 40 something ears they all sounded the same. Then switching to a Marshall class 5 again all sound the same but a edge to the Epis because of the Burstbucker pros. Do not get me wrong, the Gib Moderne plays well enough and sound goods but so do the 5x less expensive Epis. I bought the Gibson Moderne because lets face it, I was not going to be happy until I saw Gibson on the headstock. I figured it would be night and day and makes the cost worth it but so far I am not hearing or feeling it.

So if you are on the fence and think you would be settling for a much lesser guitar with the Epi version, Do not be.

Epi are being snapped up at a grand but the 5 grand Gib are sitting for months or going unsold. Any questions on either the Epi or Gib Moderne feel free to ask.

Any specific views let me know. You do not even notice the headstock when playing. Stringing is no biggie.I just bought the Gib Mod ,not played a hour yet but to me but it does seem to stay in tune better than the epis and I am a hard bender.Plan to put my hands all over it today and tonight and break her in.

And yes. the volumn of the Black Modern goes to 11.

Thats my playing Modern I may sale. Replaced both pups with new gold Burstbucker pros,orange drop cap and knob that goes to ELEVEN.

post-31109-095778800 1298744305_thumb.jpg

post-31109-050408500 1298744451_thumb.jpg

Any specific views let me know. You do not even notice the headstock when playing. Stringing is no biggie.I just bought the Gib Mod ,not played a hour yet but to me but it does seem to stay in tune better than the epis and I am a hard bender.Plan to put my hands all over it today and tonight and break her in.

And yes. the volumn of the Black Modern goes to 11.

Thats my playing Modern I may sale. Replaced both pups with new gold Burstbucker pros,orange drop cap and knob that goes to ELEVEN.

Wow thats nice.

Also what car is that? [thumbup]

I do not even own a stand. After having 2 GUITARS knocked off I swore them off and either they are cased,hanging around my neck or laying on my bed if I am praticing. The picture was from the previous owner. I took a bunch of new pics but his pic was the best of em all. I think its a law ALL unpainted natural guitars have to be photographed either on a wood dock or porch.

I put some new Elixir 10s and raised the stop just a tad and it imo seems to be easier to play. Looking closely the frets are much fatter and flatter than the epi and overall the guitar sounds and plays alot like my 82 E2 Explorer. It was my natural E2 set off my infatuation with the Moderne. Alot of simularities but I think this particular 80s E2 Explorer was the heavyist Gibson ever made. While the Moderne is one of the lightest. A hint about the car. Its came out about when the Explorer E2 did and also the Moderne resissue. I ALSO plan to use it to go back and get me a real 1959 Suburst Lp for $250.

Took some new pic but the file sizes allowed are kinda small huh?

Whats this global quota? Used xxx of your 500k. Is that per post , daily.......

My favorite discussion!!!

I too am an old-timer who returned to the fold after a quarter-century absence. Back in the day, I played all the classic Gibsons that the world so prizes. Today I prefer the Epiphones and Agiles. Once you tweak the electronics to suit your taste you have a top-flight guitar. I by far prefer my Agiles to the Les Pauls of yesteryear. And I adore my Epiphone hollows and semi-hollows.

Anyway, welcome and thanks for sharing. I really believe that we're in a golden age of quality and affordability when it comes to guitars.

Bck in the day I nver in hell could have afforded a Gibson. My Explorer was my Graduation gift. Actaully my first was a Conn accoustic that I use to wrap tin foil around the strings and pretend I had a electric with distortion.

Now that I am older, not only do I appreciate quality but like gold and silver, anything imo is better than when the game of musical chairs stops to be caught holding alot of worthless paper money. At least with the guitars I can enjoy them and alot more entertaining than staring at a silver bar.

I am now on day 2 with my Gib Moderne so she is now officially a member of my family. I dare not touch or need to anything on it but thats what the Epi was for. But like I said with some new pups the Epi Mod holds it own.

I can see a Corvus in my future.

Archived