Gibson Brands Forums

CS-336 Anyone ever wonder?

PP_CS336

I'm not sure about the rest of you CS-336 Custom owners, but since I got mine I've always wondered why there's nothing on (Truss Rod Cover) or in the f-hole (sticker)

identifying the guitar as a CS-336. It's seems that all the other Gibson electric semi-hollow guitars have something that identify the model of the guitar somehow.

Also, are they still making this model or have they discontinued it? I haven't seen any new ones since 2008.

My CS-336 doesn't have a sticker but I don't know why that is. Yes the guitar is still made and is on the Gibson website under archtops. Mine is a 2010 model.

uyasgali, is that your CS-336 in your avatar? If so, it looks nice. Is that some sort of red color? Mine's Vintage Sunburst.

uyasgali, is that your CS-336 in your avatar? If so, it looks nice. Is that some sort of red color? Mine's Vintage Sunburst.

IMG_2134.jpg

Faded Cherry. I might have gotten the sunburst but my ES-137 is a triburst besides the cherry spoke to me loud and clear...

IMG_2134.jpg

Faded Cherry. I might have gotten the sunburst but my ES-137 is a triburst besides the cherry spoke to me loud and clear...

That's nice. So you got the flame-top. My CS-336 VS is a plain-top. I like it because the wood grain is natural as opposed to

veneered flame-top pattern. They all tend to look alike and cost more than the plain-tops. Everything else is essentially the same,

but as they say variety is the spice of life and we each have our personal preferences and some are guided by budget. I'm looking to

get a Les Paul Studio in the Spring of this year. Again I'll go with the no frills because the Standards are way up in price anymore .

I'll be going to my favorite local music store (Alto's...either in Wappingers Fall, NY or Middletown, NY) to see if either has something

that catches my eye, ear, and wallet. [thumbup] Good chatting with you.....Paul

I like simple too...that is why I didn't get a CS-356. My LP Studio is dressed in basic black and doesn't need any jewelry. I don't spend a lot of time looking at my guitars but I like them to be visually appealing.

Good luck on your quest for a Studio...

I like simple too...that is why I didn't get a CS-356. My LP Studio is dressed in basic black and doesn't need any jewelry. I don't spend a lot of time looking at my guitars but I like them to be visually appealing.

Good luck on your quest for a Studio...

Thanks, uyasgali! I'm hoping I can find a Wine Red LP Studio. I had an LP Custom (Alpine White) that I bought in 1987 for $825.00 with the

case at Sam Ash. I had to sell it, but it just goes to show you how much prices have gone up. I'll probably pay more for my LP Studio

when I get it than I did for the LP Custom back then and consider it a good buy at today's prices. That's why I go to Alto Music now in

my area. They have a good selection and the prices are very competitive, even better than the online mega music warehouses.

I've been really happy with my CS-336. Whenever I play it at with the band I get people telling how much better my guitar playing sounds

now. Those '57 Humbuckers sound great through my VOX AC30CC2. I want to get the Les Paul (well, just because I want a Les Paul again)

as it has the 490R and 498T Humbuckers which hopefully will have a bit of a different sound. Tell me what you think about your LP Studio

vs you CS-336. I'd be interested to hear.

I notice from your listing that you have a nice collection of guitars. I'm slowly replacing my Epiphones (was all I could afford at the time), as the past two years I've gotten good performance ratings at my job, thus good bonuses. I feel I give enough of my money to the ex-wife for child support, etc., so the bonus money is my chance to treat myself for my hard work. I feel I deserve something good for the fruits of my labor.

I'm not sure I could give a fair comparison between my 336 and my studio because they are very different guitars. The studio is my oldest electric guitar (yes, I got it just because I wanted a LP). I didn't care for the 498/490 pups so I swapped them for 57 classic+/57 classic. That combination just seems more balanced with each other and smoother than the ones that were in there. I don't think there is anything wrong with the 498/490 pups just not quite the sound that I wanted. I almost got a wine red one but I would have had to wait to get it so I got the ebony one.

The 336 is a dream to play but it is new so maybe some of that blush will wear off but I don't think so. I don't get too far away from blues but all of my guitars are versatile enough for anything I want to do. I don't play out anywhere or jam with people so it doesn't really matter what I play as long as it suits me O:)

All in all the 336 is very comfortable to play sitting or standing since it weighs 6.6 lbs and is almost as small bodied as the studio and my sg. My es137 weighs 9.02 lbs and is pretty large so I have to take frequent breaks when playing that one. It gives me some incredible tone though so it's ok. I have this habit of rotating my guitars on a daily basis so they all get played. The acoustics I save for special occasions.

I'm not sure I could give a fair comparison between my 336 and my studio because they are very different guitars. The studio is my oldest electric guitar (yes, I got it just because I wanted a LP). I didn't care for the 498/490 pups so I swapped them for 57 classic+/57 classic. That combination just seems more balanced with each other and smoother than the ones that were in there. I don't think there is anything wrong with the 498/490 pups just not quite the sound that I wanted. I almost got a wine red one but I would have had to wait to get it so I got the ebony one.

The 336 is a dream to play but it is new so maybe some of that blush will wear off but I don't think so. I don't get too far away from blues but all of my guitars are versatile enough for anything I want to do. I don't play out anywhere or jam with people so it doesn't really matter what I play as long as it suits me O:)

All in all the 336 is very comfortable to play sitting or standing since it weighs 6.6 lbs and is almost as small bodied as the studio and my sg. My es137 weighs 9.02 lbs and is pretty large so I have to take frequent breaks when playing that one. It gives me some incredible tone though so it's ok. I have this habit of rotating my guitars on a daily basis so they all get played. The acoustics I save for special occasions.

uyasgali, Thanks for the info. Yeh, different people have different opinions as to how certain pickups sound in a specific model guitar. I think sometimes the

amplifier has something to do with it too. It's all relative to what the individual is looking for in the sound of their guitar. When I get my bonus check I'm

going to go to Alto's to see what they have and try 'em out. I know the Faded LP Studios have the Burstbucker Pro pickups, but I'm not fond of the faded finish.

The Studio LP Tributes have the P-90's and they have the worn finish. I'm not fond of the worn finish either. I'd rather put the wear and tear (aka "mojo") on the guitar myself than to pay for a worn finish. That's why I'm leaning to the regular LP Studio. This way I get a nice finish and time will work it's own magic on it.

You're absolutely right. The CS-336 is a dream to play as well as being comfortable. I've had mine for about a year now and I still love playing it.

Those '57 Humbuckers sound awesome whether playing clean or turning up the gain. The newer Les Pauls are suppose to be weight relieved (through being chambered)

so they shouldn't be as much a burden to play for a long period of time as the older ones. I remember my 1987 Alpine White Les Paul Custom weighed a ton, but man

did that baby have sustain.

• 5 months later...

This Gibson Cs-336 is my first Gibson and I love it. In the first time I was looking for a Es-339 but when played in store there was no story.

Is a fantastic guitar, easy to play with .011 on it, you can play almost every music genre, but for Blues, Jazz & Fusion is simply awesome.

I've removed the pickguard.

gibson_CS-336.jpg

This Gibson Cs-336 is my first Gibson and I love it. In the first time I was looking for a Es-339 but when played in store there was no story.

Is a fantastic guitar, easy to play with .011 on it, you can play almost every music genre, but for Blues, Jazz & Fusion is simply awesome.

I've removed the pickguard.

gibson_CS-336.jpg

Reminds me of a cherry lollipop!!! Nice looking guitar...

Archived