Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Dot Deluxe - Tuner replacement

fhrussell

I searched this forum for a clear answer, but I haven't been able to find the info I am searching for. Recently acquired a beautiful Epi Dot Deluxe and one of the tuners is not holding well. Can someone recommend a set of tuners that will fit in the present holes, as well as line up with the screw holes. I am looking at the TonePros Klusons or the Grover 14:1, 18:1, or locking tuners. Anyone with expereince on this?

Thank you!

Fhrussell,

Welcom to the forum!

Are these the ones currently on the guitar?

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Grover_Tuners/Grover_Full-size_Rotomatics.html

Have you tried tightening the screw on the end of the tuner?

Also, you can remove one and check hole size. Probably 10mm.

If the above link are the ones on it, they are very close ...not exact.

The screw holes could be ever so slightly off. The originals are Grover license. Those are Grovers. No big deal.

If the screw holes are off a slight bit, fill with tooth picks dipped in Elmers.

Use a needle as a center punch to start new hole. Finish piloting screw hole with this:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00940737000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

As long as the headstock holes are the same size, there are many good tuners that will fit. If you don't mind the screw holes you can use anything with the same size headstock holes. You can always fill the old screw holes with matching crayon wax and polish over.

I'm sure you will also get many other insights....This is a great crowd!

Congrats on the guitar....You will be pressed for pics!

Willy

Edit: More often than not, it is the nut not the tuners.

Hopefully, in case you do not know, one of our fellow members will explain as I am on my way out the door right now!

I agree. Nine times out of ten, there's a different cause. Tuners get blamed because they are, well, tuners. :)

Nuts are the generally the culprit.

Now, if you're just looking for an excuse to upgrade...

Hipshot! The screw holes don't like up exactly, but, whatever.

Smoothest tuner ever.

1293840632.jpg

EG

Fhrussell,

OK, I'm back home.

We don't know any thing about you. (nothing personal)

Are you a starter that replaced one sting improperly and can't figure out why your guitar will not tune?

Are you an experienced guitarist that has never had this problem?

Your question leads me to wonder: Are you positive it is the tuner? (again, nothing personal)

Talk to us and we will talk with you.

By the way, any chance the string is just binding in the nut?

Willy

HI folks!

Thanks for all the replies! Just to give my background. I've been playing for over 25 years, toured professionally, etc... Play and own all kinds of guitars; Collings, Heritages, Martins, Gibsons, Fenders, etc...

So, I think you all are right about it not being the tuners. I picked this guitar up very recently, so the strings are still the originals. I must say, for a sub-$300 guitar, the intonation is amazing. I bought it from a luthier. After reading your posts and looking into it further, I think a new nut is in order. Any thoughts there?

Thanks!

PS - Will post pix when I figure out how to make them low res.

These nuts work very well, and are quite popular. All that's usually needed is to sand down the bottom for desired height.

http://www.graphtech.com/product-137-2/

and here's one on eBay for under $10 including shipping:

http://cgi.ebay.com/GRAPH-TECH-TUSQ-GUITAR-NUT-EPIPHONE-LES-PAUL-PQ-6060-00-/380314323578?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item588c800a7a

I just bought a Dot Deluxe as well and the tuners are pretty good.Mine had issues when I first brought it home with staying in tune.I changed the strings and lubricated the nut and it is rock solid now.A great guitar for the money for sure.

Funny, I was just playing the Epi again last night and it played in tune no matter how much I was bending the G string! I didn't lube, change strings, or anything. I did notice fret buzzing at the 9th fret on the B string, which was not there before... I hope a string change will help things. Otherwise, I love this guitar! My friend bought a Sheraton and replaced the wiring and p/u's with Antiquities and the thing is just amazing now. One other notable point is that my Dot has the balsa center block. The Sheraton and another friends' Dot both have the mahogany block and are much heavier than mine. As for sound, I'd say my friend's Dot (w/ stock p/u's) is a bit more 'focused' sounding. I do love the light weight of my Dot and will eventually upgrade the p/u's and wiring in time, and improving the tone. Not that I'm complaing... for the $$, this is a great instrument!

Archived