Gibson Brands Forums

Major dilemma...

DJScott

OK, so you live on a farmstead, so no shortage of barns in which to set up the Twin and crank to high heaven. So finding a place to make it sing is no problem (though Fred/Nat doesn't realize as Milod does that they sound truly great uncranked too). Here's why you want a high-powered silverface:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EumS7B4HcTg

Oh, but then, listen to those lyrics. That's why you don't want a high-powered silverface. [scared]

Can't you buy the amp, practise this version of this song, and win her round? Win-win!

They sound good, but hell! my 50 watt Sunn amp on 3 will blow the makeup off a girls face [flapper]

I want a Twin because they are so clean, but they are balls to the wall loud still.

Never said they were bad, but its still loud [wink]

They sound good, but hell! my 50 watt Sunn amp on 3 will blow the makeup off a girls face [flapper]

I want a Twin because they are so clean, but they are balls to the wall loud still.

+1 nicely said.

Certainly not a practice amp! And to be sure I've rarely been able to let my 70W Pro off its leash (don't live on a farm). But with the right pick-ups, even these clean monsters can give you something other than pure crystal when you dig in, and you don't necessarily have to be at full volume. Not drive, of course, but something with more bite than many jazz or surf players would want. You won't get it from a Tele or a Strat, I imagine, but a pair of humbuckers on a Gibson should take you there.

OK Fred now I want to see pics of your Sunn amp blowing make-up off a girl's face... [drool]

+1 on what a guy like milrod sounds like with a jazz box and a twin. that, right there, is one of the best sounds you can get anywhere, from anything. problably every bit as beautiful as a great female vocalist with sweet voice.

and then fuzzy can come along and blow the make-up straight off her face.

stein: Thanks. That's what I was actually looking for, just wasn't sure how to ask it. I knew it wouldn't be cheap, (nor, did I expect it to be), anything worth doing is worth doing right the first time.

I know the amp is way too powerful for a practice amp, that's why I have that 15 watt Marshall mini stack and the 1 watt micro stack. I just see an opportunity to salvage history for myself, re-live my youth a bit, and maybe make a buck or two a couple years down the road.

IF I end up with it, the first place it goes upon arrival in North Dakota, is my guitar guy, so he can give it a once over for safety sake. Then I will attempt to melt roof snow with the LP! :D/

• 4 months later...

Update...

So, after 34 hours of overtime this two weeks, the Mrs. has given me the go-ahead to buy it for the modified asking price of $800.

Shipping from Youngstown, OH to middle-of-nowhere ND should be around $300 via UPS ground.

Let the pleasure begin!!!

Best of luck with the amp.

Have fun.

Although... as has been suggested by my name, my 120-watt tube jobbie ain't been played through in close to a half dozen years although I did one concert through a similar borrowed tube amp set low and clean for a jazz sound.

The thing is... if you've got it, you always have an option. That's always good, too.

And your wife must be an ongoing good deal too. <grin>

m

Archived