Gibson Brands Forums

How can I safely remove paint from a H-bird guard?

meanstreak

I picked up a set of three original Gibson Hummingbird pickguards that are unfinished. They have the white paint on but not the yellow. I'd like to try to remove the paint altogether but don't want to harm the guard with something scratchy or a harsh paint thinner. Can anyone give me some tips on how to go about?

i have not done it, so this is only a guess. there is this stuff called goof off, you get it at building supply and paint places. it is extremely powerful, so test first. the list as far as solvents, least to most effective for most things:

denatured alcohol

paint thinner

laquer thinner

naphthea

methel ethel keytone (MEK)

goof off

again, i dont know what will cause a reaction with the plastic and i haven't done it before. those are what i use for paint and mistakes and such.

Lol ya I've seen people complain about a lot of paint coming off when they strum, I wouldn't mind that look actually but the look a bit strange without the yellom flowers, butterfly etc. I have used goo-gone but not goof off. I wonder if they are similar. It's certainly worth a try, especially since I have three if them coming. They are in the mail, I'll post pics when they arrive!

I've never cleaned a pickguard that wasn't on a guitar but here's what I know in a very general & non-scientific sense, ranked in rough order of 'solvent action'.

*Water is the first choice for about anything. It won't work well on paints that are oil-based but given time & temperature will remove a ton of stuff. Probably will not work at all for what you're trying to do...

*Next up are alcohols, like IPA (isopropyl alcohol), ethyl alcohol (booze). A bit stronger solvents than water that work on some things.

*Next is naptha, e.g. mineral spirits. Used in lighter fluids. It will dissolve non-lacquer paints but is pretty safe for lacquers such as the nitro-celluose (nitro) finish on guitars, the enamel on your car, etc.

*Next are ketones, like acetone, MIBK, MEK, etc. They are polar solvents so work on things non-polar solvents like naptha won't soften, such as lacquers. Problem is they often dissolve things you want to keep, like many plastics.

*A lot of the 'miracle' cleaning stuff like "Goof Off" has a bit of ketone in it + non-polar solvents so they will remove varieties of stuff. Testing is always advised when using one of these.

There are also other solvents, such as citrus-oil based, that will remove paints. Can't recall the names but basically they 'plasticize' the paint, softening it so it can be removed. Some are a bit kinder to certain plastics.

Must add I'm using these terms in a general & non-chemistry correct sense!

If it were me, I'd experiment on the pickguards via testing various things on the underside to see how the plastic holds up, then move to the painted side. If a solvent is OK for a substrate--like a pickguard--you may find that time helps a lot, e.g. place a lightly damp rag on the surface, let it sit for 20 minutes, rub, then repeat.

Good luck!

Lol ya I've seen people complain about a lot of paint coming off when they strum, I wouldn't mind that look actually but the look a bit strange without the yellom flowers, butterfly etc. I have used goo-gone but not goof off. I wonder if they are similar. It's certainly worth a try, especially since I have three if them coming. They are in the mail, I'll post pics when they arrive!

have used goo-gone. goof off is a whole different level. see the post below, thats some good reading there.

I've never cleaned a pickguard that wasn't on a guitar but here's what I know in a very general & non-scientific sense, ranked in rough order of 'solvent action'.

*Water is the first choice for about anything. It won't work well on paints that are oil-based but given time & temperature will remove a ton of stuff. Probably will not work at all for what you're trying to do...

*Next up are alcohols, like IPA (isopropyl alcohol), ethyl alcohol (booze). A bit stronger solvents than water that work on some things.

*Next is naptha, e.g. mineral spirits. Used in lighter fluids. It will dissolve non-lacquer paints but is pretty safe for lacquers such as the nitro-celluose (nitro) finish on guitars, the enamel on your car, etc.

*Next are ketones, like acetone, MIBK, MEK, etc. They are polar solvents so work on things non-polar solvents like naptha won't soften, such as lacquers. Problem is they often dissolve things you want to keep, like many plastics.

*A lot of the 'miracle' cleaning stuff like "Goof Off" has a bit of ketone in it + non-polar solvents so they will remove varieties of stuff. Testing is always advised when using one of these.

There are also other solvents, such as citrus-oil based, that will remove paints. Can't recall the names but basically they 'plasticize' the paint, softening it so it can be removed. Some are a bit kinder to certain plastics.

Must add I'm using these terms in a general & non-chemistry correct sense!

If it were me, I'd experiment on the pickguards via testing various things on the underside to see how the plastic holds up, then move to the painted side. If a solvent is OK for a substrate--like a pickguard--you may find that time helps a lot, e.g. place a lightly damp rag on the surface, let it sit for 20 minutes, rub, then repeat.

Good luck!

unless someone has actaully done it, i bet this guy here has about the best answer you gonna get without a chemistry class.

wait..this is a chemistry lesson. good stuff man. i'm saving this.

I see "Stein" posted the same info in a much more succinct manner while I was typing!

you mean i got one in by being short winded?..that is the last thing i would have ever predicted.

yours is far better. i didn't know quite so much about it. and i got the order wrong for plasic specific.

Archived