Gibson Brands Forums

Urge to Own That Clapton Guitar Is Contagious, Scientists Find

rocketman

University studies like this one are such BS. I want a big-money grant to draw baseless conclusions about something......

I personally don't have a problem with universities funding studies like this. I've spent most of my adult life either as a student at various universities, or as a teacher in them. I could care less about the ressearch, actually. It does not apply to me or to most people that know, and a lot of my friends are musicians and have been for decades.

However, what I do find pathetic is exactly what the study reveals regarding the fawning-and-tripping-over-each-other-menatality that so many people in our society (in the USA and Canada)have towards celebrtity culture. There was a thread on Clapton's guitar auction started over at the gear page and I couldn't beleive the number of people on that forum that would be willing to pay the $$ to have one of his guitars, for no other reason than if was "played, held by him". I just don't get it? I wouldn't pay once cent more for one of his guitars than I would be expected to pay for the same guitar through a retail outlet. His guitars are not going to make me play any better. It's not as if he MADE the guitar, with his own hands. If he did, that would be different. Many of those guitars are off-the-shelf standard fair stock that you and I could buy from any music store, and if they are custom shop, then we can order those too, providing we are willing to pay the extra for it.

About the only things that he has that would be of interest to me, and it's not because they are his, would be those vintage amps that he has. But I certainly would not be willing to pay $7000-$10,000 for a 57 Fender Deluxe twin!! Many would be though!

Archived