Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson volume controls

minnella

I just purchased a 99 Byrdland and find that in the center possition on the pickup selector either pickup volume will kill both pickups in the completly off possition. I know this can happen if either of the pickup hot leads are tied to the same terminal as the switch lead but can anything else cause this??? On the Byrdland as with other archtop / hollow bodies it is a time consuming deal to access the controls..also hard to see with an inspection mirror...

Just wondering if a sheild touching something can cause this....

Thanks everyone for clearing that up....anyone have the neck pickup trim installed so the pickup sits at a 20-30 angle....whats with that ?? My 68 Les Paul is not that way the pickup sits parralell to the strings.

My 339 and every other one I played had the neck pickup in the same position you described. I took the pickup out of the ring, reversed the pickup in the ring so the ring was reversed and the pickup is now parallel to the strings.

It didn't change the sound but I was completely annoyed by it every time I played it so I fixed it. It made me very happy \:D/

Archived