Gibson Brands Forums

Selling a Song You've Written

heymisterk

Okay, thought I'd start here...

So of all the songs I have written, I probably have two or three that I can honestly say are very good. In my times playing folk gigs, one in particular gets a very big and positive response. I would say it would hold its own against any "pop" country or folk that is out there. Think Lady Antebellum and you are in the ballpark.

I have had the song copyrighted, but I wonder: What could be next? I am never going to get rich with this song with me performing it.

So, I am wondering if any of you have ever actively marketed and/or sold any of the rights to your songs. Does anyone have any advice in this area?

Thanks,

Jeff

I don't have an answer, just some thoughts. I am curious and hope maybe someone does, though.

I think that for the most part, writing songs is easy compared to playing them, and i mean playing them well and all over and touring. I get the idea that there are a lot of songwriters, like in Nashville, that are telented, and I wonder how much of it is a case of throwing a bone for certain musicians. There certainly are more great songs then there are record contracts or talented musicians to play them.

In the case of your songs being great songs, I think one thing that may be a likely case is someone may like the idea or get an idea from it and create their own song, I know this happens a lot. I don't mean to say ripping a song off. In a way this may seem unfair to suggest such a thing, but there are those that are good at songwriting and arranging and know how to find inspiration as well as break down ideas and be able to extrapolate what makes some things work.

When you consider the harsh reality that making money as a musician involves royalties, it seems highly unlikely that someone is going to be motivated to use another persons songs, especially if they don't know you.

But, having said that, there is something to be proud of having written songs that people react to. I would just play the hell out of them. Perhaps someone will hear them and the songs will sell themselves, and perhaps someone seeing you play them will have enough respect for you to use them and credit you properly, should that happen.

I read a lot of stuff online and it was interesting.

I don't mean to say they are GREAT songs; rather, I would say that one of them in particular could hold its own against other songs that are popular. Trust me: I have written some awful sh*t that I would never subject anyone to. And I have written some ho-hum songs.

What I read mostly is, make a demo with whomever you can and try and get someone to market it or sell if online. But make sure you copyright your song.

When I recorded and copyrighted my first CD in 07. I received a couple letters from people trying to get me to write and sell them some songs. I deal with a lot of different Venues on the computer that are for independent writers of songs. Have you put it out where people can hear it? I know of a couple places on the computer that you can put your music so others can hear it and you'll find out quick if they are as good as you think with people hearing them. If you want the info just ask.

I have 2 favorite places that I put my music One is Song Ramp and the other is Ourstage.com. They both have to be joined but It don't cost nothen. Both are fun and are mostley other artest that are trying out there work also. Try them out and tell me what you think. [thumbup]

Most folks that sell songs have a publishing deal of sorts, and that's where the artist that is looking for a song will look.... Protecting yourself is key, so find an attorney if you're serious.

Basically you'll need a substantial library, right now my library is at 237 pieces, and I'm currently shopping 100 units. Certainly having a publishing deal is nothing glamorous, but can be lucrative if you get one or two out there on the radio or the tele.

Guest FarnsBarns

My wife works for one of the major labels. There A and R guys receive demos and buy songs all the time. Just record a demo and send it out.

Guest FarnsBarns

My wife works for one of the major labels. There A and R guys receive demos and buy songs all the time. Just record a demo and send it out.

Archived