Gibson Brands Forums

J. Bon. Concert Last Night

guitargreg1993

Hey everyone, just wanted to say that the Bonamassa concert last night was AMAZING!!! By far the most incredible display of guitar playing I've ever seen... Also Joe is a great showman. He played with so much energy and passion. It was even better than the Experience Hendrix tour I saw last year [thumbup]

He played for 2 and a half hours straight without a break, except a few minutes before the encore. The show was sold out, and he said it was one of the largest-attended shows he's ever done. I was in the very last row on the top level, but the view was great (no heads or anything blocking my way) and the sound level in the back was perfect - loud enough to hear, but not too loud where all the sound mushes and blends together. And my ears didn't ring after the concert!! It would've been really cool to have been in the front real close to the action (I could've snapped some KILLER photos!!), plus at the end Joe threw about a dozen guitar picks into the first few rows... but nonetheless my view was still pretty great. The whole crowd was totally connected and into the show, and everyone was cheering like crazy the whole time, and gave him the biggest standing ovation at the end that I've ever seen... Trust me, it was a VERY well-deserved ovation. The only bad part about the concert was that 2 drunk a**holes almost started throwing punches in the row ahead of me. Missed about half of one of the songs because of that... [cursing]

Some things I was surprised about:

-Bonamassa didn't use either his signature LP Goldtop or his flametop LP with the bigsby and black pickguard the entire night!! But on a good note, he DID use his new 59 burst for at least 5 songs. Plus there were a lot of other really cool guitars that he used; specifically, a red ES-355, a white Gibson doubleneck, and that '82 Korina Flying V that he always uses on Just Got Paid!! [biggrin]

-He didn't play "Stop!" or "The Great Flood" - but all the songs he played from the new album were great! I bought the album and the tour t-shirt off his website when I got home, and I'll be getting the CD shipped a week before it comes out as a special offer! [thumbup]

Anyway, I present to you: Joe Bonamassa Live in Milwaukee, in pictures!! [biggrin]

"Slow Train" off the new album Dust Bowl. Notice the "Bona-bird" prototype

DSC01246.jpg

He played this awesome 3-minute solo intro to Sloe Gin with the stage entirely black except a spotlight on him... it was orgasmic. Notice he's playing the 59 Burst!!! [drool][love] Definately the highlight of the entire night... amazing song with beautiful solos filled with emotion. One of my favorite Bonamassa songs... And this is by far my favorite picture I took. Look at the way he casts a shadow, and of course his beautiful 'Burst!!! [biggrin]

DSC01265.jpg

About 5 songs in, he finally said something other than "Thank you!" or "Hello Milwaukee!"... he said, "So, I bet you guys are thinking, 'What is he gonna do, play all night and not say a damn word to us?!'" Then he told us this story about how he got a call from a newspaper asking him how he felt about one of his songs being voted as one of the 10 best riffs of the decade. He asked the person what it came in and he said, "# 10".

"I now present to you the number 10 riff of the decade, The Ballad of John Henry!!"

DSC01285.jpg

Not quite sure what song this was, but I personally thought that the ES-355 he was using was one of the coolest guitars of the night! [thumbup]

DSC01302.jpg

He had a guest player for "Further On Up The Road". Some local guy from Milwaukee. I don't remember his name, but his chops were pretty good and he did a decent job keeping up with J. Bon's soloing...

DSC01320.jpg

I don't know the name of the song, but it was a (about) 8-10 minute acoustic jam and he showed off incredible talent and speed in this song. One of the highlights of the night!

DSC01365.jpg

Django. He played this as an instrumental segue into another song; don't remember which one though.

DSC01369.jpg

(Continued in next post....)

Encore! Encore!! ENCORE!!! =D> =D> =D>

DSC01395.jpg

He finally came back out, this time wearing all white!!

DSC01399.jpg

This was the only guitar of the night that I had NO CLUE what it was... (Anyone know??)

DSC01405.jpg

And of course, the final encore song was Just Got Paid. One of my other fav. Bonamassa songs... definately the other biggest highlight of the night!! Played with such emotion and energy; it was a beautiful thing to watch him play this!!

DSC01412.jpg

DSC01414.jpg

DSC01427.jpg

DSC01447.jpg

DSC01457.jpg

A bit blurry, but since everyone was standing and I had to hold the camera way above my head to capture this, unfortunately this was the best pic I could get of the group bowing...

DSC01465.jpg

This was basically my view of the stage, just for a point of reference. [thumbup]

DSC01466.jpg

All in all, it was a great show and I can't wait to see him again on his next tour!!! =D>

I do believe it's impossible not to enjoy yourself at a Joe Bonamassa concert, I could describe the one I went to exactly the same! He's a fantastic guitarist, as much as a performer. He does not disappoint.

Glad you had fun [thumbup]

EDIT:

The special guest's name was Greg Koch. Here's a vid I just found of him and Joe playing "Blues Deluxe" after Further On Up The Road...

I do believe it's impossible not to enjoy yourself at a Joe Bonamassa concert, I could describe the one I went to exactly the same! He's a fantastic guitarist, as much as a performer. He does not disappoint.

Glad you had fun [thumbup]

thanks!! and yea i would agree, even my dad (who had never even heard of Joe before the concert) had a fun time and thought it was a great concert!! [thumbup]

First concert?

Not first concert, first time seeing Bonamassa...

I think the tele he used in the encore nay be th Gigilotti he has used on Mountain Time previously.

The acoustic song, was it Woke Up Dreaming??

Yea, it was a cool looking guitar. I had just never seen it before so i had no clue what it was...

And yea, the acoustic jam was Woke Up Dreaming. Thanks, I couldn't remember the name... [biggrin]

Archived