Gibson Brands Forums

Pick Guard Covering Question

Chas63

I recently purchased an Epi 1966 Limited Edition G-400 Walnut SG guitar. I like the looks of the guitar very much, but it seems like the pick guard scratches very easily. Is there some kind of a thin plastic covering on the pick guard that I could peel off? I'm assuming that the pick guard is some kind of hard plastic that shouldn't scratch easily.

Any information that you could provide on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I recently purchased an Epi 1966 Limited Edition G-400 Walnut SG guitar. I like the looks of the guitar very much, but it seems like the pick guard scratches very easily. Is there some kind of a thin plastic covering on the pick guard that I could peel off? I'm assuming that the pick guard is some kind of hard plastic that shouldn't scratch easily.

Any information that you could provide on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Brand new Epi's come with a thin plastic covering over the pickguard and the back control plate that can be removed. Of course all pickguards get scratched up eventually though.

It's called a scratch plate or pick guard because it protects the guitar from scratches, not itself. Polish helps keep it looking better, but it's doing what it's supposed to do. If you want to keep your guitar in pristine condition, I suggest you leave it in the case and never play it. ](*,)

All kidding aside, enjoy your guitar and play the heck out of it. That's what it's for. If the pick guard gets really ratty, you'll simply get a new replacement.

I realize that scratch guards are intended to keep the body of the guitar from getting scratches, but a hard plastic guard shouldn't scratch so easily. I have an Epi Sheraton II that I've had for 4 months and have played it quite a bit and the pick guard on it doesn't have a single scratch that I can see. There is no reason, IMO, that the scratch guard on my NEW Epi G-400 should scratch so easily....... unless, as Supersonic101 said, it's a thin plastic cover that will peel off the scratch guard.

Thanks.

By picking very carefully at one corner of the pick guard with my fingernail, I was able to peel back the corner of the thin, plastic film that is covering the pick guard. I'm now certain that it is this thin covering that is scratching so easily. The pick guard itself is much harder and much more scratch resistant. Perhaps my Sheraton II had a thin, plastic covering like this on the pick guard and I removed it without remembering it.

Anyway, I now have my answer to my question. Thanks for everyone's input.

By picking very carefully at one corner of the pick guard with my fingernail, I was able to peel back the corner of the thin, plastic film that is covering the pick guard. I'm now certain that it is this thin covering that is scratching so easily. The pick guard itself is much harder and much more scratch resistant. Perhaps my Sheraton II had a thin, plastic covering like this on the pick guard and I removed it without remembering it.

Anyway, I now have my answer to my question. Thanks for everyone's input.

](*,)[lol]

Congrats on getting a 1966 Also my prefered SG design [thumbup]

Archived