Gibson Brands Forums

TV not on inside label

tubetone74

I need some help to prove to someone I sold a J185TV that is in fact a TV. I sent him a copy of the serial number that can be verified by the dealer it was originally purchased from and by calling the Gibson 800 number, but I remember some time ago there was a thread here that addressed this as I as initially concerned too. The buyer lives across the country, and is questioning my honesty. He does not understand why TV is not on the inside label. Can anyone chime in to help a fellow forumite out? Many thanks.

FWIW, my J-185TV is not labeled as such either but merely as 'J-185'. The guy I bought it from was worried about the same thing and he contacted Gibson Customer Support who provided him with a letter of authenticity stating it was in fact a True Vintage model. In any event, the True Vintage series do not have electronics which should be enough to distinguish them from the Modern Classics. The date of manufacture should distinguish it from possibly be mistaken for a Historic series J-185 which I believe also did not have an under saddle pickup.

I just sold a 2007 J185TV and it too did not have the TV designation

wouldn't the maltese cross also be a dead ringer for the TV model? that was the one distinguishing feature of the J185 and the standard model now does not have it anymore?

I think that the 'Historic' Series also had the Maltese Crosses on the the bridge. I could be wrong though. I'm not sure what distinguishes the the Historic series from the True Vintage otherwise. One more reason for Gibson to produce a definitive guide that describes the differences in these series...

I bought a new J-45TV this year and there are no "TV" or "True Vintage" markings on it anywhere. He should have noticed it was a TV because there is no serial number or "Made in the USA" stamped on the headstock and no pickup. If memeory serves me the serial number is stamped on the inside of the guitar, on the neck block. I believe the Historic Collection guitars still had the serial numbers stamped on the headstocks and a "Historic collection" sticker on the lower part of the headstock.

All of the Modern Classic guitars have white oval interior labels, the True Vintage models all have orange oval interior lables, and the split into True Vintage and Modern Classic lines occured (I believe) in January 2006. Examination of the serial number of the J185TV will tell the buyer the year and date of manufacture, and if I recall correctly, the True Vintage models do not have "Made in USA" below the serial number on the back of the headstock. These things should be enough to let your buyer know that he got the TV instead of the MC J185.

...real acoustic guitars are cherry red and have little birds on the pickguard...

Archived