Gibson Brands Forums

The Gibson Hummingdoveitage!

ksdaddy

First off, the general consensus here seems to be legit, but most likely an employee made mash-up, or a headstock repair. Either way, it's a nice guitar - and hopefully it sounds good too.

Second - actually, if you look at Post #2 on page 1 of this thread by Vincentw - http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/66239-the-gibson-hummingdoveitage/page__view__findpost__p__896462

you'll see he's with Gibson Customer Service. He didn't indicate he thought this guitar was a fake.

You haven't been any trouble at all, and this is an interesting thread. When the guitar arrives, examine the back of the headstock, particularly in the are behind the nut, looking for a joint which would indicate a headstock repair/replacement. Even if you find one, well done headstock repairs are very strong, no need to worry.

Let us know what you find out.

Thanks for the reply....It's not so much I think the guitar is a fake, and I don't disagree with any of the posts. I agree that the body is Gibson...it just seems that even a repaired headstock would have a stamp. I contacted the guy and he says he can't send me a better pic of the back of the headstock, and that he can't get to the guitar being it is at the shipping Dept. I only won it yesterday and I haven't paid yet. I totally agree with you about the well done headstock repair, but well done is the key word. I have no way of knowing. I would assume he would be willing to go to the shipping Dept and take a better pic which is right side up that shows where the overspray is so I can show it to you gentlemen as well as form an opinion. Thanks Big Kahune for responding...have a nice week

Hey Rob -

Don't write off yer own repair work. That sounds like a damn fine repair to me. [thumbup]

Anyone who knows me will attest to my wood-working skills, (or lack thereof), but I've not touched the repair since then, and I've played that guitar constantly, in fact I STILL play it constantly.

I so want the "Franken-Gibby" to be real.... might be worth it for the money just to see it up close and personal!

Thanks for the reply....It's not so much I think the guitar is a fake, and I don't disagree with any of the posts. I agree that the body is Gibson...it just seems that even a repaired headstock would have a stamp. I contacted the guy and he says he can't send me a better pic of the back of the headstock, and that he can't get to the guitar being it is at the shipping Dept. I only won it yesterday and I haven't paid yet. I totally agree with you about the well done headstock repair, but well done is the key word. I have no way of knowing. I would assume he would be willing to go to the shipping Dept and take a better pic which is right side up that shows where the overspray is so I can show it to you gentlemen as well as form an opinion. Thanks Big Kahune for responding...have a nice week

KSDADDY is the closest we have to an expert around here. If he thinks it's th 'real deal' it probably is. Is it a common model? Definitely not. This may be a one off, prototype or something.

Archived