Gibson Brands Forums

The Gibson Hummingdoveitage!

ksdaddy

Does it look real? I don't have an experienced eye to determine if this is actually a parts guitar from gibson or if some just made a real crappy fake but I am kind of digging how strange this is.

The top edge of the headstock looks somewhat off.

The curves look like they may have been shaped

to imitate the Gibson "scallops" but they seem to be

flatter or less defined.

I agree that it looks 'wrong' but in this case it's 'right'.... I say it's a '70s neck, given the volute and the shape of the heel, and many of the wide headstocked 70s necks had that 'wrong' look.

As to the overspray, who knows? It's supposed to look like a stinger but could be hiding a repair.

I think it's a mongrel employee guitar. If it were custom ordered, then all bets would be off, but I question how much Gibson did custom orders then.

I don't think we'll ever know the truth but man, it sure is neat looking.

Hi Gibson....I'm the guy that won this hummingdove with the heritage inlay. I was unable to zoom before I won this due to the fact that the pics were posted on some hosting site which I had trouble navigating. I figured it out naturally after I won it. Was wondering if anyone minds offering an opinion please. I don't see a made in USA or a serial # stamp. There is no label inside. The shape of the top of the headstock seems off as does the centering of the inlay, and why the overspray. Not to mention the non-Grover like tuners. Maybe those are newer style Gibson tuners?? Not sure. The rest of the guitar seems up to par. I thought it was a Dove with a Hummingbird pick guard. I am rather concerned. I'm supposed to pay for this within 2 days. I originally posted on telecaster.com and everyone there was very helpful, but many think it is either a fake or had some kind of Franenstein like headstock replacement. If anyone would like to view the Ebay auction...please type gibson acoustic A538 in musical instruments category and hit completed listings.I was advised to contact Gibson. Is this the Gibson site where I could have the picture looked at by an employee? Hope I haven't been too much trouble. Any help appreciated!!!

post-32544-095138800 1302667601_thumb.jpg

post-32544-039582400 1302667619_thumb.jpg

post-32544-069071800 1302668019_thumb.jpg

I LIKE IT....I WANT IT....But I CAN'T HAVE IT.......DAMN IT!

I am the guy who won this strange guitar.... Below are more pics and a plea for any other observations if it's not too much bother....thanks so much for the help

Hi Gibson....I'm the guy that won this hummingdove with the heritage inlay. I was unable to zoom before I won this due to the fact that the pics were posted on some hosting site which I had trouble navigating. I figured it out naturally after I won it. Was wondering if anyone minds offering an opinion please. I don't see a made in USA or a serial # stamp. There is no label inside. The shape of the top of the headstock seems off as does the centering of the inlay, and why the overspray. Not to mention the non-Grover like tuners. Maybe those are newer style Gibson tuners?? Not sure. The rest of the guitar seems up to par. I thought it was a Dove with a Hummingbird pick guard. I am rather concerned. I'm supposed to pay for this within 2 days. I originally posted on telecaster.com and everyone there was very helpful, but many think it is either a fake or had some kind of Franenstein like headstock replacement. If anyone would like to view the Ebay auction...please type gibson acoustic A538 in musical instruments category and hit completed listings.I was advised to contact Gibson. Is this the Gibson site where I could have the picture looked at by an employee? Hope I haven't been too much trouble. Any help appreciated!!!

How does it play? How does it sound?

Still looks good to me....but I thought the Sides 'n Back were mahogony, which would make it a 'Bird with a Dove Bridge, rather than a Dove with a 'Bird pickguard.

How does it play? How does it sound?

Still looks good to me....but I thought the Sides 'n Back were mahogony, which would make it a 'Bird with a Dove Bridge, rather than a Dove with a 'Bird pickguard.

That's the problem....I just won it, and I have to pay for it so I haven't received it. I hope that neck isn't a copy. The open book part of the head stock seems off to me, and the inlay seems off center. The fresh overspray concerns me. I emailed for a better pic and he said he didn't have access to the guitar...it's in the shipping dept. Ugh Thanks for all of your help.

... but many think it is either a fake or had some kind of Franenstein like headstock replacement. If anyone would like to view the Ebay auction...please type gibson acoustic A538 in musical instruments category and hit completed listings.I was advised to contact Gibson. Is this the Gibson site where I could have the picture looked at by an employee? Hope I haven't been too much trouble. Any help appreciated!!!

First off, the general consensus here seems to be legit, but most likely an employee made mash-up, or a headstock repair. Either way, it's a nice guitar - and hopefully it sounds good too.

Second - actually, if you look at Post #2 on page 1 of this thread by Vincentw - http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/66239-the-gibson-hummingdoveitage/page__view__findpost__p__896462

you'll see he's with Gibson Customer Service. He didn't indicate he thought this guitar was a fake.

You haven't been any trouble at all, and this is an interesting thread. When the guitar arrives, examine the back of the headstock, particularly in the are behind the nut, looking for a joint which would indicate a headstock repair/replacement. Even if you find one, well done headstock repairs are very strong, no need to worry.

Let us know what you find out.

First off, the general consensus here seems to be legit, but most likely an employee made mash-up, or a headstock repair. Either way, it's a nice guitar - and hopefully it sounds good too.

Second - actually, if you look at Post #2 on page 1 of this thread by Vincentw - http://forum.gibson....post__p__896462

you'll see he's with Gibson Customer Service. He didn't indicate he thought this guitar was a fake.

You haven't been any trouble at all, and this is an interesting thread. When the guitar arrives, examine the back of the headstock, particularly in the are behind the nut, looking for a joint which would indicate a headstock repair/replacement. Even if you find one, well done headstock repairs are very strong, no need to worry.

Let us know what you find out.

Doesn't even have to be a "well done" repair... I fixed the headstock on my Jubilee with Elmer's and a clamp....and that was over 20 years ago!

Doesn't even have to be a "well done" repair... I fixed the headstock on my Jubilee with Elmer's and a clamp....and that was over 20 years ago!

Hey Rob -

Don't write off yer own repair work. That sounds like a damn fine repair to me. [thumbup]

Archived