Gibson Brands Forums

LP Custom

schizophrenica

Hey guys I been lurking around the forums for quite some time now. Anyways I decided to start posting again. See I just got myself a new LP epi Custom in black.. Wheee!! But its troubling me that the neck pickup doesnt sound as good as the one in my LP special 2... I'm thinking of upgrading to Gibson pickups.. Gibby's are hard to come by where I'm from, so I don't know the difference between the various gibson pups.. I know there are burstbuckers, PAF's and whatnots, but can anyone give me alist of what's what and help me with a decision? I like playing blues and AC/DC type distortion sounds..

Thanks

Hey guys I been lurking around the forums for quite some time now. Anyways I decided to start posting again. See I just got myself a new LP epi Custom in black.. Wheee!! But its troubling me that the neck pickup doesnt sound as good as the one in my LP special 2... I'm thinking of upgrading to Gibson pickups.. Gibby's are hard to come by where I'm from, so I don't know the difference between the various gibson pups.. I know there are burstbuckers, PAF's and whatnots, but can anyone give me alist of what's what and help me with a decision? I like playing blues and AC/DC type distortion sounds..

Thanks

There's also '57 classics, P-94s and many more, I have never bought Gibson pickups, I own half a dozen or so Gibson geets though, they're not too special to me, I hardly ever pull one of them out, I think there's much better value to be had in not only the pickups but the guitars also. I'm very fond of Epis though, bang for buck they've got Gibson beat, although some of the cheaper Giibbys, the fadeds and so on are pretty good value.

This question gets asked a few times a week, and the truth is just about everyone is going to have a different opinion, people have different tastes, hearing ability and budgets, also it depends most of all on the quality of the amplifier the guitar is plugged into.

EDIT: also there are many things you can do with capacitors in various different configurations,to brighten or tame a dull pickup, and it's very cheap to do.

Oh okay... I've found some other helpful threads on the matter, but can you elaborate more on the capacitors? Also what's the best way to keep grime of the fretboard? I've been plagued with it since forever..

Welcome back!

Lots of good info in Animalfarm's DIY at the top of the Epiphone Lounge.

As to the capacitors: there are a couple of listing for cap test videos.

You might also be interested in this mod from Gearhead:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/63847-taming-muddy-sounding-pickups/

He uses a cap as a low end filter.

There are also some good posts in the DIY about fretboard care.

As to pickups...yup...a matter of taste. The ones in your Special II are very hot. (around 14 or 16K)

Willy

aahh thanks.. very very informative.. so much so I'm getting the urge to repaint my special 2... [blink]

I'm splashing a bit of paint around at the moment, only out of necessity though, covering up and error in judgement. LOL

That DIY thread is a goldmine of information on just about anything guitar.

Archived