Gibson Brands Forums

Best Hard Shell Case for a AJ-500

steve_d

As some of you know by my recent postings, I purchsed a AJ-500MVS. I was wondering what the best reasonably priced hard shell case would be for this model guitar. I have a dreadnought case for my DM-500, but it doesn't seem to fit well in that case (too much play). Does anybody have any recommendations? Thanks!

Steve

As some of you know by my recent postings, I purchsed a AJ-500MVS. I was wondering what the best reasonably priced hard shell case would be for this model guitar. I have a dreadnought case for my DM-500, but it doesn't seem to fit well in that case (too much play). Does anybody have any recommendations? Thanks!

Steve

Check eBay for the Epiphone Masterbilt Gigbag. It's actually a fabric covered hard case and fits the AJ500 perfectly.

I don't believe it's in production any longer. It als has a built in hydrometer.

Good luck.

I think the best value for a hard case is the "Musician's Gear Deluxe Dreadnought Case" for $49.99 available from Musicians Friend for $49.99 with free shipping. Click on this to check it out: Guitar Case

Check the measurements as it might be a little large for your guitar.

I have one of these cases and they are sturdy and have excellent padding inside the case. There is also a small compartment for misc. junk.

I've a similar problem with my old archtop.

If the hard case you have does fit, I've seen several web sites with directions to remodel the interior fit using foam cut to fit and a re-do of the lining using contact glue - which is likely how it's made in the first place.

I plan roughly the same for my 1950s smaller electric archtop for the same reasons. The big peghead makes a larger case seem like a good idea, then rebuild the interior for a good fit.

BTW, I tend to agree with the $50 case from MF as a top deal. I have one for my 12 string. Also, if you mod it to fit your git, and totally screw up, it's not the end of the world cash-wise.

EDIT: I just got remembering too that in the old days with fewer case choices, most of us would but the slightly larger case and always pad it with a towel. The towel comes in handy, too, for cleaning the guitar after a campfire or whatever. <grin>

m

• 2 weeks later...

I just joined the Epiphone forum after following it for months, I have a AJ-500m and I contacted Gibson about what Epiphone case would it fit. The epiphone case called EDREAD is what they say would work. I ordered it from MF and its perfect,fits like a glove and looks good as well, its sitting behind me right now. I would suggest maybe checking one out. Still working on profile stuff, all my pictures are too big.

Thanks ADJAG, I just ordered one myself and just found out it was delivered today. Looking forward to getting home!

As a bonus, the EDREAD case is also long enough to fit the EJ-160 and the J-45. The old Masterbilt case would Not

accomodate them.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep I have both the Masterbilt featherweight hardshell and the E-Dread hardshell cases and while I love the look of the Masterbilt case I have to say the e-dread is really the best choice. It kept my hummingbird 100% safe and sound on a trans-atlantic flight from London to Houston.

Archived