Gibson ES-335 2010 pots

PuerAeternus

Hi,

The following values are valid for USA/Memphis pots:

Gibson USA / Memphis

Volume: 300k Linear

Tone: 500k Audio (log)

Approx. PRE 1973: 500k for Tone and Volume

If you wish to place other value pots; well it's really a matter of a personal choice.

Switching from a 300k to a 500k would for sure make it louder, and MOST likely make it brighter.

It will most likely make it considerably more in volume than the bridge pup if you leave it at 300k linear. If you use the volume knob on the neck pup (the 500k you switched to) to match the volume or come closer when switching from the bridge pup, It should still sound the same as it would with the 300k in there now. In other words, you might want to switch both if you do the neck.

If you like the way the bridge pup is, then you might consider channging the value of the tone cap for the neck pup. If it is a .047, then a .02 (or .022) will brighten it up.

Also, you might look into what they call "50's" wiring.

Switching from a 300k to a 500k would for sure make it louder, and MOST likely make it brighter.

It will most likely make it considerably more in volume than the bridge pup if you leave it at 300k linear. If you use the volume knob on the neck pup (the 500k you switched to) to match the volume or come closer when switching from the bridge pup, It should still sound the same as it would with the 300k in there now. In other words, you might want to switch both if you do the neck.

If you like the way the bridge pup is, then you might consider channging the value of the tone cap for the neck pup. If it is a .047, then a .02 (or .022) will brighten it up.

Also, you might look into what they call "50's" wiring.

what is the stock tone cap for Gibson Es-335 plain dot? 2010?

from what i've read the stock tone cap is a .022 already i might try a .015

Hi,

The following values are valid for USA/Memphis pots:

Gibson USA / Memphis

Volume: 300k Linear

Tone: 500k Audio (log)

Approx. PRE 1973: 500k for Tone and Volume

If you wish to place other value pots; well it's really a matter of a personal choice.

my tech examined my 2010 es-335 and said the volume pots measured 490k........ (closer to 500)

whats up with that

Well to my mind that might explain why on the original sample your guitar appears to have more gain than your friend's. But I may be wrong in automatically associating volume with output and gain. Wouldn't really explain what you find muddy in the tone though, unless the higher gain really is clouding the waters for you. But if that were the case then you'd have sorted things out by rolling off the volume, and we all know that that hasn't worked. So back to the drawing board, alas. Have you fiddled with the caps some more?

my tech examined my 2010 es-335 and said the volume pots measured 490k........ (closer to 500)

whats up with that

Thats high for a 300k, but of the ones I have measured, they vary a lot more than I had thought.

I found that the 500k pots almost always measure around 425 to 500k, almost always less. The 300k pots almost always measure more, and about maybe 325k to 400k.

I know this is not scientific going by memory (from a long time ago) but needless to say I do remember, and particularly that it is pretty easy to find a 300k and a 500k that measure the same.

Thats high for a 300k, but of the ones I have measured, they vary a lot more than I had thought.

I found that the 500k pots almost always measure around 425 to 500k, almost always less. The 300k pots almost always measure more, and about maybe 325k to 400k.

I know this is not scientific going by memory (from a long time ago) but needless to say I do remember, and particularly that it is pretty easy to find a 300k and a 500k that measure the same.

well i got my guitar back from my tech with the new SD antiquity in the neck....... at first i was sad cause i felt the nothing had really changed but after playing it for a while it definitely sounds clearer/brighter than the old 57 classic.... maybe pickups need to be broken in too

http://hc.bloodyvelvet.com/files/270/clean%20riff%20comparison%202.mp3

note the differences between my sunburst and the other two aren't as blatant anymore

(the first is the cherry es-335, the 2nd is the sunburst es-335, the 3rd is the schecter)

well i got my guitar back from my tech with the new SD antiquity in the neck....... at first i was sad cause i felt the nothing had really changed but after playing it for a while it definitely sounds clearer/brighter than the old 57 classic.... maybe pickups need to be broken in too

note the differences between my sunburst and the other two aren't as blatant anymore

(the first is the cherry es-335, the 2nd is the sunburst es-335, the 3rd is the schecter)

Actually, all electronics have a break in. All conductors need at least 40 hrs of signal going through them before they sound thier best. Most don't know that because it takes a long time, and there is no way to tell unless you are listening for it or have a way to quantify it.

However, the tonality will not change much or the frequency responce, nor the character. The highs will become smoother and less scratchy, but they will be the same volume and amount in relation.

Actually, all electronics have a break in. All conductors need at least 40 hrs of signal going through them before they sound thier best. Most don't know that because it takes a long time, and there is no way to tell unless you are listening for it or have a way to quantify it.

However, the tonality will not change much or the frequency responce, nor the character. The highs will become smoother and less scratchy, but they will be the same volume and amount in relation.

but you can definitely hear the difference the Antiquity made...... my guitar no longer sounds like someone put plastic bag over it

Wow..sounds like you got exactly what you were after with that pup change. Did you change anything else?

I think I might even prefer the sound of the sunburst better than the cherry, but it is like splitting hairs now.

Wow..sounds like you got exactly what you were after with that pup change. Did you change anything else?

I think I might even prefer the sound of the sunburst better than the cherry, but it is like splitting hairs now.

Nope i didn't change anything else.

yeah it is like splitting hairs now.

regardless go seymour duncan!

Good job. Sounds so close to the Cherry you could pass the first two samples off as coming from the same instrument. Though I agree with Stein that if you want to split hairs, then yours probably sounds better in terms of added chime now. Still, I liked it better before. No plastic bag to my ears, just loads of lush wood! (Don't throw the original pup away - in case you ever do go all Jazz Club.) But pleased you've got a result.

• 2 weeks later...

In my experience, increasing the value of the pot across a pickup doesn't have a substantial effect on volume, but does lead to a brighter tone. This is because of a phenomenon known as "transformer effect." (A guiar pickup is essentially the same thing as the output winding of a transformer) As the ratio of the pickup resistance (typically 7-10K) to the load impedence of the pot (250-500k)increases, the high-end freqency response of the pickup increases. This is why instruments with pickups feeding directly into an active circuit placed before the volume controls tend to sound very bright, because the input impedence of the active circuit is typically very high.

Archived