Gibson Brands Forums

Off Topic- Adobe content

Silenced Fred

So last night I went to an Adobe clinic at my college to learn about their new update. A guy from Adobe came in to talk about it and I thought I would learn more about the actual program, but instead I learned more about ePublishing and websites for mobile devices, still cool though.

Pretty much what the new update does is easier creation of mobile sites for iPad, iPhone, android phones and other tablets. It also allows easier publishing for different readers for making eBooks or eMagazines.

Without getting into the nitty gritty of things, this means that, in his words, a **** ton more magazines will be available and more and more websites will be better compatible for a mobile or tablet internet browser, because it is much easier. Less actual html coding (if at all) and easier formatting. So if anyone is on the fence about an iPad or other tablet, it may be more worthwhile because there will be more stuff available for it.

I thought it was kind of cool...

I thought Apple and Adobe were mortal enemies? No really I thought Apple doesn't let adobe develop iPhone apps or at least it's difficult?

What's the name of the program from Adobe to develop mobile web apps? Did they give you that info?

I thought Apple and Adobe were mortal enemies? No really I thought Apple doesn't let adobe develop iPhone apps or at least it's difficult?

What's the name of the program from Adobe to develop mobile web apps? Did they give you that info?

They are, but a lot of the magazines use adobe to make the layouts.

It's the new version of indesign 5.5 that they are using

Actually this kinda game has been going on for years with various hardware and software manufacturers jockeying around to increase market share.

Part of the game is to come up with hardware and software combinations that do something well and will increase the given company's marketshare. Sometimes the relationships work long term, sometimes they don't.

Adobe has some exceptional software, but they're even more exceptional in a corporate sense by trying to get "single solution" sorts of market segments. InDesign is a good example. They've been pushing it for years as the best solution for any kind of print or web publishing. But... why risk file incompatibility... Hence InDesign continues to seek a killer marketing vehicle.

InDesign came in response to the success of Quark Express that began as an Apple response to an earlier but conceptually similar Xerox "Ventura Publisher" that had begun to steal publishing market share from PageMaker on the Mac. Pagemaker went through various iterations but never kept up. Quark as a multi-platform solution took off.

These companies just love to see battles like the PC vs Mac arguments because they're positioned to win regardless.

m

Guest FarnsBarns

I am curious as to how it might have less or no .html code??

It's a WYSIWYG editor with loads of predefined snippets.

I can see some FrontPage-esque <div><span>xxx</div></span> coming to a tablet near you soon!

W3C must be doing their nuts.

Archived