Gibson Brands Forums

Ridicule

ihc70

I suppose this might open me up to ridicule, but I have a question. I just bought a VOS LP SG Standard new from a reputable, high volume dealer. The finish is beautiful, the wood appears excellent, the hardware functions perfectly, and the price was too good to pass up. I've never owned burstbuckers before, but I've had SG's from the early '70's all the way to a '05 with p-90's. These pickups, to me, sound great.

Anyway, the serial number is 004252. The way I read this, it was made in 2000. Where was this guitar for the last 11 years? Do they really sit on the shelf that long? Or am I missing something.

I suppose this might open me up to ridicule, but I have a question. I just bought a VOS LP SG Standard new from a reputable, high volume dealer. The finish is beautiful, the wood appears excellent, the hardware functions perfectly, and the price was too good to pass up. I've never owned burstbuckers before, but I've had SG's from the early '70's all the way to a '05 with p-90's. These pickups, to me, sound great.

Anyway, the serial number is 004252. The way I read this, it was made in 2000. Where was this guitar for the last 11 years? Do they really sit on the shelf that long? Or am I missing something.

I would have gotten '05 out of your serial number- the 1st and the 5th numbers are the date codes.

I'm not sure, but isn't your VOS a Gibson Custom Shop Model?, if so, all bets are off on using the serial number to date your guitar- they use a different system.

Your best bet is to email Gibson with the info- they should be able to supply you with the mfg date.

Thanks. It is a Gibson custom shop model. Checking out the serial decoder on this same forum, I came up with the year 2000.

GIBSON CUSTOM

1961-1969 Firebird, Les Paul, and SG reissues (since 1997):

YYRRRM

Y is the production year

RRR® indicates the guitar's place in production for that year.

M is the model being reissued

Reissue model codes:

1= SG Custom and Special

2= SG Standard

3= 1963 Firebird 1

4= 1964 Firebird III

5= 1965 Firebird V & VII

8= 1968 Les Paul Custom

Doesn't matter too much. I love the guitar. Just curious.

I might be wrong, but I think it is a 2010. I have seen a guitar sit at a dealer for 11 years but it was WAY over priced for all that time and they did not want to deal on it. Call or email Customer Service with the serial number and they will tell you the correct year as it could be 2000 or 2010.

Guest FarnsBarns

Thanks. It is a Gibson custom shop model. Checking out the serial decoder on this same forum, I came up with the year 2000.

GIBSON CUSTOM

1961-1969 Firebird, Les Paul, and SG reissues (since 1997):

YYRRRM

Y is the production year

RRR® indicates the guitar's place in production for that year.

M is the model being reissued

Reissue model codes:

1= SG Custom and Special

2= SG Standard

3= 1963 Firebird 1

4= 1964 Firebird III

5= 1965 Firebird V & VII

8= 1968 Les Paul Custom

Doesn't matter too much. I love the guitar. Just curious.

Certainly seems like its a 2000. Could the dealer have sold you a used guitar as new? Could they have found it under a pile of cases after being there for 11 years?

Don't think it was used. I trust the dealer, and it came with all the "case candy." Warranty Card, COA, etc. I see on this forum someone said they didn't start VOS until 2006. This guitar specifically says "LP SG STD. VOS" on the warranty card.

This was a good thread for me as i'm about to maybe buy a sg custom where serial start with 00, e-mailed the shop and they answered it was a 2010 not a 2000. A little bit confusing. If i will buy it i will call Gibson with the serial just to be sure.

Archived