Gibson Brands Forums

Melody Maker SG

DiamondJig

The PG is a one ply basic same as on my LPDCSPL as is the bell shaped truss rod cover. Would be nice to replace. Some stats on mine weight is 6lbs-10oz The 491T is HOT and bright 14.75 ohms. Under the PG there is no cut out for a neck PU. I feel the volume knob gets in the way. It's a one piece body and one piece neck. The fret board is very smooth and the frets are nicely done (pleck'd ?). Out of the box the setup was good, I lowered the action a bit and the pickup, it was set very close to the strings. I'm very happy with the way it plays in tune, the combo bridge has no compensation notches and it stays in tune pretty good. I compared it side by side with my Classic and the body seems to be the same size and shape. The necks are different the MM is smaller, not a 60's. The heel on the MMSG is smaller than the classic and standard more of the body wood under the neck. The spec say it's a maple body, but I can't tell, I can see the grain on the back but can't tell what type of wood. It's a very bright sounding guitar without being plug'd in. Sounds good plug'd in and play'n with the volume knob does change the sound has a good range. When I change the strings I'm going to break in down and take a few pix.

I stripped her down and replaced the pickup with an Alnico V PAF a little mellower, but she's still got plenty of bite. I also added a PU ring, didn't put the screws in the adjs screws hold it in place, didn't want to damage her. Also changed the tuners to some Planet waves self trimming and locking that I had lay'n around. They are gold, I might change all the hardware to gold. Here's a few pix the one with the PG off you can see the white maple wood in the screw holes. I had a chance to match the PG up with a standard, they do not match up perfectly, screw holes are off, the bridge holes are off the MMSG is spaced like a stop tail, the PU holes do line up. The last 2 photo's I tried to show the neck joint, the thicker wood under the neck and the raised height of the neck above the body, doesn't change the way it plays, can't feel the difference. I took the volume knob off, it gets in my way. I'd like to add a tone knob, not much room in there for a stacked pot, not too deep, you can see how they dug out the extra hole for the jack. I'm really like the feel of that finger board. She is very stable and stays in tune and plays in tune all over the finger board, I think the finger board realy helps. She rings out nicely, very easy play'n a great first guitar. Still not too happy with the sound. Going to wire and external tone pot with a drop orange cap to see if it helps.

5644115245_73d91aae42_b.jpg

5644114537_4b0d2fa16a_b.jpg

5644681162_4d911f8a53_b.jpg

5644681200_fc585cdbd5_b.jpg

5644114677_56425d3940.jpg

5644681064_1dd243d97d.jpg

5644115087_3348815521_b.jpg

Hey Diamondjig, I bought the same guitar. I hated it at first, and I was going to send it back, but I started playing it and haven't put it down. It plays really great and sounds fantastic. Its really a comfortable guitar to play. I was think about swapping out the pickup for something a little warmer myself. Also,I'm getting a new pickguard and a compensated bridge. Hows this intonation on yours? I took the pickguard off, and was very careful not to mess with the bridge posts. I don't know if I did anything, but its sounds a bit off now. I tried to adjust the intonation again, but I can't seem to get it right now.

Hey Diamondjig, I bought the same guitar. I hated it at first, and I was going to send it back, but I started playing it and haven't put it down. It plays really great and sounds fantastic. Its really a comfortable guitar to play. I was think about swapping out the pickup for something a little warmer myself. Also,I'm getting a new pickguard and a compensated bridge. Hows this intonation on yours? I took the pickguard off, and was very careful not to mess with the bridge posts. I don't know if I did anything, but its sounds a bit off now. I tried to adjust the intonation again, but I can't seem to get it right now.

I dig'n mine too, as you said it's a comfy play, the intone is fine, i'm very happy with mine.

Archived