Gibson Brands Forums

B25 For Sale

Jimbeau

I have owned my 1967 B-25 since 1973, when I bought it from a squadron mate at the Air Force Academy. He was, I believe, the original owner, as it was a high school graduation present that he simply never learned to play. I was thrilled to buy a Gibson, having missed one narrowly in my high school years.

But I grew away from this guitar once I started playing Martins with wider necks. I'm 6'1" with largish hands and the 1 5/8" Gibson neck never felt right again after moving first to 1 11/16, then 1 3/4" necks.

About 1985 I had the original adjustable saddle changed to a fixed, drop- in type saddle. This work was done by Fiddler's choice in Jaffrey, NH. Then in 2006 or so I thought about selling it and took it to a local guitar consignment shop. They suggested I have a hairline crack in the neck epoxied and I used Tucker Barrett to do this work. After listening to him admire the guitar I decided to keep it!

But now I know I simply won't play it again. I have a nice rosewood Martin (000C-16RB) that is my player. And I'm not a collector so it's for sale. I might find a mahogany 12 fret to replace it.

Photos on request. The guitar is solid and straight and has great tone. Mahogany and Spruce (I assume Sitka). The finish is worn, but there are no cracks that I am aware of, other than the neatly repaired hairline crack in the neck, which i hadn't even noticed when the luthier showed it to me. I string it with mediums, as someone once advised that and it seems to work well that way. This would be a fantastic guitar for a younger player or someone with smaller hands/fingers, perhaps a woman.

I'd prefer to do a meet and test it sale, rather than ship this old friend around the countryside. $1,000.

Thanks,

Jim Talbert

Had a '65 B-25 that I played for over twenty years. Wonderful guitar, after having the plastic bridge replaced with one made of ebony. Also had an Epiphone Cortez for awhile, which was exactly the same guitar except for the headstock & pickguard. Got a real soft spot for these, but nowadays I'm leaning heavily towards the dark side (es330, etc).

Here are three pictures of the Gibson B-25 I wrote about last week. In the frontal shot you can see the the modified saddle, based, I believe, on the original bridge. You can also see a few blemishes on the soundboard, but no cracks. The finished is crazed here, on the back- see the second shot - and on the neck, simply from age. The third shot shows the crack in the neck which was repaired several years ago. I hadn't noticed this hairline crack, but a luthier pointed it out and repaired it for me.

The serial number, stamped on the back of the headstock, is 120200. I believe this to be a 1967 number, and that coincides with the original owner's dates. Again, I bought it from him in 1973.

I have the original chipboard case in good condition and an older Dean Markley Pro-Mag wooden sound hole pickup that I bought to use with this guitar.

I am asking $1,000 firm and would prefer to deal with someone in the Northeast, so that they can test the guitar and we can avoid shipping it. But all serious inquiries will be considered.

post-31068-004070900 1304371683_thumb.jpg

post-31068-000200000 1304371772_thumb.jpg

post-31068-051490000 1304371900_thumb.jpg

post-31068-082249000 1304373081_thumb.jpg

Archived