Gibson Brands Forums

House Burglary Yesterday

Namvet

I watched the Boondock Saints with my grandpa once. He said he didn't totally agree with the vigilante way they did things, but that he did when it came to his own home and family. He continued to say that that is why he owns around 50 guns.

post-3530-051695000 1304089389_thumb.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tommy...

Not any more. It's functionally illegal. That kinda strikes me odd 'cuz it's legal to have a guard dog(s) trained to viciousness as long as it/they remain away from the general public.

m

I believe you'll have to put a 'Beware of Dog" sign in the front yard, though.

So you reckon I'll have to remove my rope snare from the back door approach, the dead fall trap door from the front stoop and the pungee pits from the back yard?

just kidding folks.

The pungee pit in the back yard isn't as much of a joke as you might imagine.

An extension of this discussion is that folks with a back yard swimming pool or play equipment - even a kid's bike on the porch - can get you into trouble with the law, either criminal or civil.

Why? Because the pool or play equipment might be considered "attractive nuisances" and a kid who drowns or breaks his/her neck can either sue the owners or in a worst case scenario in some venues, a prosecutor could file a negligent homicide charge.

Etc., etc.

The fact that folks were trespassing becomes irrelevant.

m

Is this really that common?

Is what common? Bobby trap's? Or the chance that emergency personnel may have to enter a home when nobody is home or worse, when the occupant have need medical care and is unable to disarm a bobby trap?

Think about how many times every day emergency personnel enter a house somewhere in the US because of flooding, fire, suspicious behavior? How many times every day do water and gas meter readers enter yards in the US?

If you are not home and a neighbor calls the police because they saw somebody around your house and they respond only to be injured by a bobby trap are you prepared to face a law suit and prosecution?

The odds are nothing good is going to come out of a lethal trap.....maybe you value you're private property more than you do the life of a fireman or a policeman...I don't. But that's just me...

I don't argue with Jax in one sense because I have many good friends on the local fire departments (plural departments in this part of the world) and some even closer ties than that with law enforcement.

My points are that there is no way to protect your home under today's legal environment other than vicious animals that in rural areas might range from several bulls or bison in the yard to pit bulls or boa constrictors in the house.

Worse, under today's environment not only have you no real protection for your home unless, and only in some regions of the world, you're sitting there with various sorts of personal defense potentials.

Worst, you can be civil and criminally liable for your swimming pool, your kids' bikes and even a bad step on your fenced-in back porch if a burglar or anyone else is hurt on it - or if your roof is so slippery a burglar falls off.

Bottom line is that there is decreasing respect for personal property within western culture, whether it be tangible or intangible - unless it's something that hits a current "hot button." Unfortunately one's home is not a current hot button.

m

I don't argue with Jax in one sense because I have many good friends on the local fire departments (plural departments in this part of the world) and some even closer ties than that with law enforcement.

My points are that there is no way to protect your home under today's legal environment other than vicious animals that in rural areas might range from several bulls or bison in the yard to pit bulls or boa constrictors in the house.

Worse, under today's environment not only have you no real protection for your home unless, and only in some regions of the world, you're sitting there with various sorts of personal defense potentials.

Worst, you can be civil and criminally liable for your swimming pool, your kids' bikes and even a bad step on your fenced-in back porch if a burglar or anyone else is hurt on it - or if your roof is so slippery a burglar falls off.

Bottom line is that there is decreasing respect for personal property within western culture, whether it be tangible or intangible - unless it's something that hits a current "hot button." Unfortunately one's home is not a current hot button.

m

true dat...in our city if you have a security system and experience three false alarms you get fined...

Good lighting helps, but not in day light...I have a very large gun safe but if somebody wants your stuff bad enough they will get it...

Yes. Do people booby trap their homes in great numbers?

There is a reason there are laws against it...just a few years ago there was a story about a man who booby trapped his front door because kids had been breaking in his house...he killed his grandson...In many national forest drug gangs have set up pot farms, they booby trap the area...would you like to be walking through the woods and get a fish hook stuck in you're face, maybe an eye?

Maybe step on a punji stick?

I would bet you a brand new Gibson LP that if you were the victim of such a trap you would not be a happy camper...

I just wanted to say - that is really crummy and it does leave you feeling uncomfortable. NOT fun.

Also to say, THIS woman would've cried over a guitar theft much more than a jewelry theft.

[biggrin]

and

YES, I'm taken - hahahaha

[lol]

(I have one of those wonderful husbands who unloads the dishwasher, does laundry, and gets told he looks like Nic Cage, too)

BUT - we're out there!! We exist. So there.

:lol:

...Also to say, THIS woman would've cried over a guitar theft much more than a jewelry theft.

Agreed...I'm not really a jewellery fan, and would pretty much die if my guitars were stolen.

I think ladies claiming they prefer their guitars to jewelry are in error.

In a sense, a guitar IS jewelry - for both men and women - every bit as much as a Rolex or Chanel watch.

"We" take great care in the guitar strap and many of us like lotza bling on the guitar. The color and style are quite important to many of us.

The guitar perhaps is the quintessential bit of "jewelry" for many musicians.

Me, Naaaah. I'm just an old picker who cares more about playability. OTOH... <grin>

m

The point is, no one should have robbed member " icvmcky " 's house and home in the first place.........

As such, if caught, they should disappear......just sayin'.......If found, they should disappear....

icvncky, as who he is, above and beyond, should NEVER have been robbed......

Very true............

Sadly a whole lotta "should never happens," really do, in this world we live in..........

Which is why we're all commisserating here -- it hurts.

Anyway good point about the guitar istelf being bling.

But it can be the prettiest thing in the world and if it A) has lousy tone and/or B) is being played like a pile of doggy-poo then......... EH.......... forget about it......

LOL

Absolutely correct that burglary should not happen - although it does.

Linda... as for guitar bling and ...

Well, watch out for some of the ... photos/avatars ... some of they guys have rather "chauvinistically" put of of well made-up girls partially covered by guitars only, and who probably wouldn't know an E string from a G string and... well, I take that back. They probably know what a G string is.

<chortle> Hmmmm...

m

Archived