Gibson Brands Forums

Help me ID this guitar

I have acquired a vintage Epiphone Acoustic that looks like it from the 60s. There is no label inside the guitar so I don't know what the model is. The serial number stamped on the back of the neck is 810759. The pickguard looks non original. I have a non-original tkl that it came in. I thought it was a FT-30 but this guitar looks like it has a spruce top and the FT-30's were all mahogany.

Here are some pictures.

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y127/musician18/Epiphone%20FT30/

Thanks!

If it has a spruce top, which it appears to have, it is probably a FT45 Cortez. Similar in body shape and size, but with spruce.

Here is a > > > Vintage Catalog < < < site. '61 or '62 possibly. I can't say for sure, but I think you are in the right decade. Might even be late 50's.

Nice score.

Nits and Lice. Guitars are built in relatively small batches. Bling, like binding and such, can be changed at a moment's notice.

Remember in 1969, Gibson was on the ropes. They probably built them with whatever materials they had left. So, variability in details in not out of the question. Odd ball bridge?... Possibly they didn't have enough of the un-inverted bridges to go around as well. There are probably a lot of odd ball '69s out there.

Nits and Lice. Guitars are built in relatively small batches. Bling, like binding and such, can be changed at a moment's notice.

Remember in 1969, Gibson was on the ropes. They probably built them with whatever materials they had left. So, variability in details in not out of the question. Odd ball bridge?... Possibly they didn't have enough of the un-inverted bridges to go around as well. There are probably a lot of odd ball '69s out there.

Good point-it's a B15 with an epiphone neck.I've seen Gibson & Epiphone hybrids from this period,

Not nice.

For what its worth, I am not a dealer. I did a personal trade to get out of another guitar that I didn't care to keep. Seemed like a good trade, but now I regret that I did it, because I feel like I have a guitar that nobody wants. The guitar I traded out of was a Martin D-16GT. The Martin would have been much easier to move.

I know there is a lot of speculation on this model, but when two reputable vintage dealers say it is a Cortez, then I would have to agree.

Here is an excerpt from Gruhn Guitars regarding this guitar..

"Drew,

George asked me to respond.

I remember the guitar. Our repair guy looked at the finish under ultraviolet

light and determined it to be original. The same repair guy wants to refret

everything he sees, and if he didn't note that this one had been refretted,

it probably hasn't been.

Epiphone specifications could easily have changed toward the late 1960s, as

Gibson. The Cortez was originally spec'd like the B-25, with an X-braced

top. It's not all that surprising to find one with ladder bracing. The

bridge looks like the bridge on some of the cheaper Gibsons of the same

period.

The guitar would be worth $800 after the repairs. I didn't look at the nut,

but I'm guessing the slots have worn too wide, if not too deep.

Regarding vintage value, vintage guitars still need to be playable to get

top dollar.

Walter Carter

Gruhn Guitars "

Archived