Gibson Brands Forums

Is it a good choice?

So I was thinking of buying Marshall JVM 410h and Marshall 1960A Handwired cabinet

http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=JVM410H

http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=JVM410H&pageType=SPECS

http://www.marshallamps.com/product_range.asp?productCode=1960A/B

http://www.marshallamps.com/images/product_specs/1960specs.jpg

so it'll look like this..

http://audiononline.com/images/uploads/h5q1211513691.jpg

any advice could be useful since I'm 15 and I don't have that much money to spend on it if it's not worth it..

My advice to you would be to take one of the way many available much smaller steps between an MG15 thingy and that half stack. Unless you got some really big arenas with Bieber coming up that you can't back out of. Just sayin.

Good luck with it.

rct

My advice to you would be to take one of the way many available much smaller steps between an MG15 thingy and that half stack. Unless you got some really big arenas with Bieber coming up that you can't back out of. Just sayin.

Good luck with it.

rct

Well, I'm not going to buy it tomorrow or sth like that, maybe in a few months, maybe years, I dont really know. It's just that I think it's worth the money. It has really good tone and sound overall..just watch those vids I posted. The only problem that I have is (except for the price) that I don't live in a house but flat so my neighbours don't really like the fact that I play about an hour or two every day even with my little MG15 crd...

Well, I'm not going to buy it tomorrow or sth like that, maybe in a few months, maybe years, I dont really know. It's just that I think it's worth the money. It has really good tone and sound overall..just watch those vids I posted. The only problem that I have is (except for the price) that I don't live in a house but flat so my neighbours don't really like the fact that I play about an hour or two every day even with my little MG15 crd...

It would be a total problem them, to get a real nice sound out of that amp and cab your going to want to turn it up pretty loud. I can barely use my half stack anymore because I live in an apartment and the hum of just turning the amp on practically makes everyone knock on the door. I would look at something like a 1x12 or 2x12 amp running 100 or 150 watts, probably be way more then enough for now, but thats just my opinion on it.

My little practice rig is a Fender Mustang III its not bad and its not great, its an el cheapo $400 modeling amp so I cant expect it to move worlds but it does a good job of emulating a variety of different sounds making it pretty flexible. I don't know if the sound from it would work for you but comparable Marshall units would be like the Marshall MG101FX. Biggest downside of course is its not a tube amp, but if you can live with that I have had pretty darn good success with my little modeler.

Good luck with it.

rct

I agree with rct on this, unless you're already playing with a gigging band and that's the sound you're looking for. You'd need some way of getting that thing around,

too. Maybe need your own roadie. If you're just playing for your own enjoyment now, and you did say you live in an apartment, right(?), I'd stay with something smaller

and let you effects pedals do the work for you at a low volume. I have a VOX AC30CC2, which is by no means a small amp size-wise (75lbs.), but since it's only 30 Watts

and plays great even at a low volume, I can practice at home when the tenants are gone (I live in a 2 family house) and still work on my sound. When I get to the gig

I just turn everything up to gig volume and there's no difference in the "sound" I'm wanting to hear. I know I'd much rather live in a place where I could "blow my horn",

so to speak, at any time day or night. I know it's a real drag to try not to piss off other people. So you have to do what you have to do to be as happy as you can

be in your situation. If you're not gigging, look into something you can get the sound you want and just work on it at home when you have the chance.

Half stacks are hard to own because you cant the full tonal ability out of them if you live in a apartment or have neighbors near your house.. I always hear of people heavily sound proofing their music rooms and playing half stacks and no one can hear it outside the door. But the problem with sound proofing a room is cost, also the fact that you are young and i doubt your parents would give you a room to waste thousands on.

Sounds crazy, but ill sure do the sound proof thing when i get my own place to live.

i play twice a week and i've never really needed 2x12. I just like the fullness of having another speaker. Most venues you gig these days will mic your cabs, so keep that in mind. instead of that head/cab, maybe a combo? or a 212 little halfstack. you might be JB incognito and actually need it, but i doubt it. don't get so hyped up about gear that you actually mess things up for yourself. TONE is what you're after, not a massive halfstack.

Archived