Gibson Brands Forums

Custom Shop Es-355 with Maestro (Vibrola) tailpiece

JM_355

I purchased a Custom Shop Es- 355 in cherry with a stop bar tailpiece a few months ago. Now that it has been setup to perfection, I am very pleased with it.

Even with perfection, there is always room for tweaking. Does Gibson sell the Maestro/Vibrola trem as replacement parts? Most of the 355's I remember having G.A.S. for as a teen had one. I'm sure it would hurt the resale value, but I don't plan on selling this guitar anytime soon.

Having a maestro trem isn't a necessity for me, but more of just a cosmetic extra that would be the icing on the cake. Any suggestions?

ES-355_A.jpg

I purchased a Custom Shop Es- 355 in cherry with a stop bar tailpiece a few months ago. Now that it has been setup to perfection' date=' I am very pleased with it.

Even with perfection, there is always room for tweaking. Does Gibson sell the Maestro/Vibrola trem as replacement parts? Most of the 355's I remember having G.A.S. for as a teen had one. I'm sure it would hurt the resale value, but I don't plan on selling this guitar anytime soon.

Having a maestro trem isn't a necessity for me, but more of just a cosmetic extra that would be the icing on the cake. Any suggestions?

[img']http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w281/King_burbs82/ES-355_A.jpg[/img]

we don't sell the maestro as an aftermarket part...sorry.

Thanks for the replies. That trem on Allparts is what I am looking for.

This is a day late and a dollar short, but for not much more cash, I could have had my Es-355 built by the Gibson Custom Shop with a Maestro from the beginning, right?

Thanks for the compliments on the guitar. When I was a kid (which was not too long ago since I'm 26 years old) I remember seeing a picture of the 1963 Gibson Catalog cover and wanting the red guitar with the gold trem.

I am most likely going to leave "Christine" the way she is and not make any major tweaks.

But I notice in another forum, there is a request for a Les Paul Custom Special Order. If I made a request through the dealer or the nearest authorized Gibson service center, could I get an estimate as to how much it would cost to have Gibson install a maestro trem? Or how about stereo varitone with the cut off switch a la the Alex Lifeson model?

Do they even do post- production customization to CS guitars?

The way I see it, I spent a lot on the 355 already, so a little more to add a few finishing touches would be worth the expense.

• 1 year later...

You could have bought an ES-355 with bigsby à la 1959 (without the redundand stereo out and Vari-Tone no one really liked anyway).... I'm about to buy me one of those! I'm just not sure whether I want a red or a black one... But prices are quite good for these, especially used ones (I want to use mine on stage, cause that's what great guitars are here for...!)

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I decided to leave the stopbar on the Es-355. I found a good tech to install a bigsby or a vibrola/maestro copy. I would have located a "custom made" plate to cover the stopbar holes. But when it came time to turn on the drill, I changed my mind.

The only changes I have made in recent months was adding the Gibson gold -tipped reflector knobs.

When I purchased the 355 back in the spring of 2008, I had the option of buying the bigsby variant, but chose the stopbar because at the time I barely used the trem on my Strat. I also could have choose the Lifeson Es-355, but opted for the Cherry 355. The bigsby or maestro do add to the looks of the guitar but for now I am going to leave "Christine" the way she is.

Here it is pictured with Elitist LP.

CIMG0603.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hi ! I am new on this forum and looking for the same vibrato.

I found one for you en ebay : here... if you are rich...!

I am looking for one of these but they are very rare and expensive... So, since Gibson doesn't "sell the maestro as an aftermarket part". I made my mind and will try to build my own version of the Maestro. So far I can't find anything better than this image :Gibson_Vibrola.jpg, and a few photos.

Does any one has blueprints or technical data to share ? I don't really care to have an exact copy, I am just customising a LesPaul style guitar, with a "end of the world" look, the Maestro will just be perfect (without its cover plate, for sure) on it...

Many thanks for your replies.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived