Gibson Brands Forums

J 160 E Diagnosis & Solution....

dr.fingers

Hi....The high E string slightly touches the 1st fret just enough to slightly mute with barely a buzz....just enough to drive me crazy?....Anyone care to give me their 2 cents on possible repairing this myself...TY......Bo

Hi....The high E string slightly touches the 1st fret just enough to slightly mute with barely a buzz....just enough to drive me crazy?....Anyone care to give me their 2 cents on possible repairing this myself...TY......Bo

The slightest amount of relief on the truss rod will likely take care of it. Not even a quarter of a turn, i would go an eighth of a turn at a time.

Adding relief to the neck will certainly raise the action and might solve the problem but you're treating the symptom not the problem. If the action of the other strings at the first fret is ok and your action at the 12th fret is ok, then the problem is with the nut slot for that string. It is too low. The nut slot would need to be filled and recut. Again, if you don't mind higher action across all the strings at all frets, then the tweak might be a quick fix but it is like stomping on your foot because your finger hurts. You forget about your finger but now your foot hurts.

If the action of the other strings at the first fret is ok and your action at the 12th fret is ok, then the problem is with the nut slot for that string. It is too low.

+1 The truss rod is for adjusting relief, period. If the relief is correct, fix the actual problem rather than messing with the truss rod.

If you insist on trying to fix this yourself, you can look up the "baking soda and superglue" fix on the web, but you might just want to replace the nut.

-- Bob R

Archived