Gibson Brands Forums

Orange Lust

ne14t?

Ok I have it pretty bad, on the weekend I got to play through an Orange Tiny Terror Amp hooked into a PPC412 Orange Cab and I think I fell in love instantly, I MUST have this setup! I was utterly astounded at how big of balls this bad little machine had, I thought it was way more power then 7/15 watts and I tried it first on the 7 watt setting, flipping it up to 15 watts gave it even more crunch, like someone was forcing crunchy peanut butter directly into my ears. I really couldn't believe how well it drove the 4x12 cab, I mean a 15watt amp powering a half stack rated at 240watts is quite a feat since it doesn't sound like it's struggling. Orange claims it can hang with the big boys and even be used for gigs, obviously not for my next sold out beiber show though! Apparently they have become a staple of equipment for a lot of producers and studios, especially for the people who don't know how to use the gear they already got (very minimal controls). I think I am drawn to the fact that I could use this half stack in my apartment since the power level is nice and low allowing for the cranked tone without the cops getting called unlike my Marshall. Decisions, decisions sell the Marshall half stack and grab an Orange or get the Orange and stack it ontop of the Marshall :P

If you're a gigging musician and like the sound of your Marshall amp for playing out, keep it and buy the Orange for playing at home (in you apartment) so as you say, you get the sound you want while practicing without having the neighbors calling the cops [cursing] for making too much noise (as they would call it).

IF it was me, I'd Keep the Mashall! Buy the "Tiny Terror" head,

for use at home, through your Marshall 4x12 cabinet, as long as

you can match impedance.

CB

I am thinking I need to take my Marshall cab into the store to see if I can get the same tone out of the speakers, I have a 1960 Lead loaded with Celestion G12T-75's, but the Orange cab is loaded with Celestion Vintage 30's now I will admit when it comes to the loudspeaker design of a guitar amp I am not sure how much of a difference just the speaker itself will make. I really have no intention of letting the Marshall go I do not owe on it nor would it stop me from getting an orange, its just TOO dang loud, I have to haul in out to my Sister/B.I.L house in the middle of nowhere just to play it now (though I could just leave it there with an orange, hmmmm....) I came to the realization yesterday that I needed to decrease the wattage since I cant even play my 1x12 100W Fender Solid State at a decent level without going and knocking on two peoples doors to make sure there kids arent home. I mean I can play it loud enough to hear but it too low to get that nice crunch sound out of, and harmonics while they are present are very short lived. Oh how I wish I still lived in the middle of nowhere!

Archived