Gibson Brands Forums

Tone, remembered

Jerry K

I was at Music Villa a few years ago shopping for a rosewood C-165. They didn't happen to have a rosewood 165 but they had a nice, blonde, maple one. I didn't buy it because I was intent at that point on rosewood and some time later ordered a rosewood and got it shipped to me. But meanwhile the tone of that maple 165 was working on my mind. Sometimes good things come in unexpected places and forms. It had particularly compelling treble and mid ranges, strong and bell-like. Months later I found another maple 165 and bought it.

Last year I played a J-200 TV that really knocked me out. I tend to play everything in easy reach on the wall just out of curiosity and I really was not even entertaining the idea of buying a J-200. I have some shoulder problems and normally play small-bodied models. All year I have been remembering and thinking about that J-200. It had a complex, shimmering, deep, cavernous, churchy sort of sound, with lots of harmonics which sometimes chimed in like an angelic host behind what you were playing as though the guitar itself were duetting with you. If you let it go on it was like a piano with the sustain pedal held down, floating, dreamy... I may have to find one like that.

I know what you mean....."the one that got away" can really haunt you. I've sold a few that I regret, but that is just spilt milk. I feel that every guitar "finds" the right owner.....Jerry, I know exactly what you mean by that "piano" sound....I hope you find another and that it suits your shoulder just fine....good luck on the quest!!!

That's the thing about checking in at my local shops. I try to just look. But then I see something I've just got to play. And sometimes I'm captured by the sound. I usually put it back, thinking man that sound so good. But there it is, popping up in my mind now and then. That sound. Calling me.

So I know where you're at. When you've finally decided to make a move, I hope you have it easy finding those sounds again. B)

Archived