Gibson Brands Forums

first edition blue silver robot never opened

brownsound

hello all i have a gibson les paul limited edition first edition blue silver robot guitar still in the box never opened never touched since it left the factory. what would or could it be worth. i find myself in need of some home repairs and need to come up with some cash. i have seen them sell on scarebay for as low as 1200 and heavily played to claims of never played open box up to 5000.

what is a realistic price for one such as mine. i plan to list it locally so that i can gurantee its working condition out of the box. i am the original purchaser. just curious as to what i should ask for it . thanks

I would guess it's worth more than a current Robot; I don't think $5,000 is realistic. The new ones sell for $2,000. And sure, one can buy a used one on eBay for less. The greatest concern is that the battery is likely completely dead, not having been recharged for 3-4 years. You should at least get a new one and make sure everything works right. Also, inspect the finish - depending on storage temperature and humidity, you may have some cracking that you should at least make the new buyer aware of. If it were mine (and I have one!) and it's cosmetically and electronically perfect, I'd start by asking around $2,750 for it. Good luck!

I agree with GuitarBuilder about battery and humidity. But I also see that it takes thousand years, when this guitar makes profit. It's because you cannot upgrade it and there is a newer tech in the market (dusk tiger, fireball and firebird x). I have seen a new guitar in the music store about 1300 USD. They just want to get rid of it.

I recommend that you take the poor guitar out of the box. Buy a new battery and check the guitar. And Just play the darn thing...

yes i have ordered a new battery to include with it when i sell it. its been stored inside my closet in my california home and we keep the home pretty much a constent 68 to 70 degrees year around.

i am affraid if i open it then my claims of unplayed are as valid as everyone elses. maybe i could take a high def video of the box still sealed with that days news paper in the video showing a date as i open it to inspect it to validate its never been opened. what do you think or is that just a dumb idea.? 2700 sounds about right to me . its what i was kinda figuring on but i had to ask others opinions to make sure. i also think 5,000 is unrealistic but i have seen 2 of them sell for that and i still to this day can figure why.

i have been told theese first editions are all solid bodys is this true or are they chambered.? thanks for the input and advice guys

• 1 month later...

I believe them to be weight relieved like a normal LP is.

What's weird in vintage guitar markets is, the unplayed guitar, and the well played guitar many times bring the same kind of money. Guitars are like cars... they do DOWN in value before they begin trending upward. When the DarkFire et al came on the scene, the original robots went on clearance at many dealers. I was able to land a perfect Robot SG for a very special price. I actually bought a darkfire first... but when the O.R. was availible at a price that rivaled the non-robot editions, I didn't hesitate to grab it.

My suggestion is that if you bought a robot guitar, I hope you did so because you wanted to PLAY IT. The online community has made the vintage market puke... and I don't see the Robot becoming a mega buck critter until its got 30-50 years age. Most of the "first run" owners are scared to touch their guitars... for fear that they will goof the value. I would suggest that you actually play it, and enjoy it.

I take my highest value guitars and play them live at places like Church, where I know they will be in generally safe conditions. I reserve the shadier locations for the cheaper guitars. Gibson guitars, even the most luxurious versions, are may to play well and sound like a Gibson.

Although I have a wide variety of guitars with different sounds and feels, I many times will opt of the Robots over the non-robots when I want the Gibson sound, and I know the venue will not pose a danger to the gear. It saves having to have a tuner in the pedal chain, and gives me one less thing to fuss about.

Archived